Monday, April 22, 2013

Raspberry Almond Coffee Cake

     


           Are you a raspberry fan? As far a fruits go, these guys are on the lowest of the list..those and blackberries. I hate,hate, HATE the way they stick in your teeth. I will go years upon years upon years with never eating one. 

I finally found the one way that I will eat them. In this super moist and wonderful almond tasting coffe cake ( raspberries and almonds go really well together). I spotted this in the latest issue of,Taste of Home and decided to give it a try. I am so glad that I did because the flavor combination was fantastic.

The recipe uses fresh berries but I honestly can't see why you couldn't get away with frozen. If you really aren't a fan of raspberries, then give it a shot with blueberries and even strawberries. I plan to try those combos aswell!

The orginial recipe calls for vanilla extract in the glaze..I went with almond and I'm really glad it did. Everyone kept saying how much they loved that flavor with the raspberries.

Raspberry Almond Coffee Cake

1 cup Fresh Raspberries
3 TBS Brown Sugar
1 cup All-purpose Flour
1/3 cup Sugar
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/8 tsp. Salt
1 Egg
1/2 cup Sour Cream..I used low fat plain yogurt
3 TBS Butter,melted
1/4 cup Sliced Almonds

Glaze:

1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Milk
1/4 tsp. Vanilla or Almond Extract

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease an 8 inch round baking pan with nonstick spray.

In a small bowl,combine raspberries and brown sugar;set aside.

In a large bowl,combine flour,sugar,baking powder, baking soda and salt.  In a small bowl, whisk the egg,sour cream,butter and vanilla together. Stir the wet ingredients into the dry just until moistened. Spoon half of the batter into the prepared pan. Top with raspberry mixture. Spoon remaining batter over raspberries and sprinkle with almonds.

Bake 25-30 minutes or until toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to wire rack. 

In a small bowl,combine the icing ingredients;drizzle over coffee cake. Serve warm

1 slice has around 226 calories

Yield: 8 servings
Source: Taste of Home