Friday, April 19, 2013

Quinoa Pizza Bites

            


         I'd be lying if I said I wasn't glued to CNN right now. I'm watching everything unfold in Boston and my heart just weeps for everyone involved. It seems strange to post a recipe when I'm watching the news and waiting to hear that they caught the second suspect. I guess it times like these I need to do normal things that take my mind off the state of the U.S. at this time and also remember what a strong wonderful group of people we are. Living in Europe has given me such a strong reminder of exactly who I am and where I come from and how we are viewed by others. As always, I am proud.

It's been awhile since I made something with quinoa. I spotted this recipe awhile back and thought it was the perfect snack for us to share as we watched a movie. You can change up the ingredients anyway you like. I swapped out the mozzarella for regular cheese only because the mozzarella here comes in a ball shape and soaked in water. You can find the shredded version but that stuff doesn't melt right due to the fact it's tossed in flour. So switch it up.

The one thing to keep in mind is that these little buggers like to stick to the pan. If you pop them out as soon as you take them out of the oven they are going to fall apart. So you need to let them rest but not so long that you can't get them out easily. I had to help a bunch of them along by running a toothpick around and gently popping them out.

This makes alot..as in 40 wonderful mini little pizza bites..and you'll be surprised how quickly they go!

Quinoa Pizza Bites

2 cups Cooked Quinoa
2 Large Eggs
1 cup Chopped Onion
1 cup Shredded Mozarella Cheese
2 tsp. Minced Garlic
1/2 cup Fresh Basil,chopped
1 cup Chopped Pepperoni Slices
1/2 tsp Seasoning Salt
1 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Crushed Oregano
1 tsp. Pizza Seasonins;optional
Pizza sauce for dipping

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 degrees. Grease a mini muffin tin with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a large bowl,combine all of the ingredients,except for the pizza sauce and mix until combined.

Distribute 1 heaping tablespoons worth of mixture into each mini muffin pan (mixture should reach the top), and press down gently to compact.

Bake for 15-20 minutes. Allow to sit between 3-5 minutes. You want to give them time to settle down and firm up. Gently pop them out either by turning them over over by holding it slightly up and using a toothpick to help pop them out.

Serve with warm pizza sauce

5 mini bites has around 175 calories

Yield: 40 Pizza Bites
Source: So Very Blessed