Wednesday, April 24, 2013

Falafel Veggie Burgers with Feta Yogurt Sauce

           


          Have you ever tried a falafel? up until now, I had never eaten one and all I can say is that I have been seriously missing out! This is by far my favorite veggie burger recipe. The boys asked for these to be included in their lunches the next day and they keep asking me when we are going to have these again. Seriously, these are crazy good.

I love the fact that these are baked and not fried and you can make more than 6 patties out of this recipe. I actually came away with 9 but there is no problem if you wanted to keep them on the large side...but you will also thank me for left overs. The sauce is also delicious and goes so well with the burgers. So trust me on this..make these for your family soon. They will love it.


Falafel Veggie Burgers with Feta Yogurt Sauce

2 (15 ounce) cans Chickpeas,drained and rinsed
1/3 cup Tahini
1/3 cup chopped Fresh Cilantro
1/3 cup Sliced Green Onions
1 cup packed Fresh Spinach
1/2 cup chopped Roasted Red Peppers
2 Garlic Cloves,minced
1 cup Panko Crumbs
1 Large Egg
2 TBS Olive Oil
2 TBS fresh Lemon Juice
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
1/2 tsp. Ground Coriander
1-1/2 tsp. Kosher Salt

Feta Yogurt Sauce:

1/2 cup Crumbled Feta Cheese
1/2 cup plain Greek Yogurt
1 small Garlic Clove,minced
1 TBS Lemon Juice..next time I will use less..add according to taste

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with foil and coat well with nonstick spray or olive oil.

In a food processor,combine chickpeas,tahini,cilantro,green onions,spinach,red bell peppers, garlic,panko,egg,olive oil,lemon juice,cumin,coriander and salt. 

Pulse until chickpea beans are smooth, but not overprocessed ( some chunks are fine!). Transfer mixture to a bowl; shape into 6 or more equally sized patties,flattening slightly. Place on prepared cookie sheet.

Bake in the oven for 15 minutes,flip with a spatula and bake an an additional 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.

Either in a mini food processor or by hand,mix the yogurt sauce ingredients until pureed.

Serve with lettuce,tomato,cucumber and feta yogurt sauce.

** My veggie burger ingredients were were really sticky so I popped the mixture into the fridge and let it sit there for about 20 minutes and that made forming them into patties alot easier.**

Yield: 6 or more burgers
Source:  Nutritious Eats