Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Chicken or Pork Black Bean Casserole

   


        From a photography stand point..casseroles suck. As fantastic as this tasted..it just does not come across well in the photograph. So you must ignore that bit and make it anyway!

My friend Tammy had mentioned on facebook that she made this and she and her husband really enjoyed it so I quickly bookmarked it and bought the ingredients to make it aswell. All I can say is that we loved it and I will be making it often. You can use chicken or pork,turkey and even vegetarian pieces. I'm sure you could get away with using ground beef aswell. I can see me using this as a filling for both burritos and quesadillas and swapping the zucchini out for eggplant and maybe adding in bell peppers.

The only change I made was to use more onion and mushrooms since we are big fans of those. This makes a great weekday meal served along side a salad and fresh fruit!

Chicken or Pork Black Bean Casserole

2/3 cup Brown Rice
1 cup Vegetable or chicken Broth
1 TBS Olive Oil
1/3 cup Diced Onion..I added more
2 Medium Zucchini,thinly sliced
2 Cooked Skinless Boneless Chicken Breasts,chopped (or whatever meat you'd like to use)
1/2 cup Sliced Mushrooms..I used more
1/2 tsp. Cumin
Salt,Cayenne(I used ground Chili) to taste
1 (15 ounce) can Black Beans, rinsed and drained
1 (4 ounce) can Diced Green Chile Peppers,drained..I used less
1-2 cups Shredded Cheddar Cheese..I used the full 2 cups but you can use less to reduce the calories

Mix the rice and broth in a pot,and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low,cover, and simmer 45 minutes, or until rice is tender.
Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 13x9 inch pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat, and cook the onion until tender. Add in the zucchini,chicken,and mushrooms. Season with cumin,salt and cayenne or chili powder. Cook and stir until the zucchini is lightly browned and chicken is heathed through.

In a large bowl, mix the cooked rice with the onion and zucchini mixture and 1/2 of the cheese until combined. Transfer to the prepared pan,smooth out and sprinkle remaining cheese on top.

Cover casserole loosely with foil, and bake for 30 minutes. Uncover, and continue baking a further 10 minutes, or until bubbly and lightly browned.

Yield: 6 servings
Source: Six Sisters' Stuff