Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Whole-Wheat Zucchini Bread Waffles

  


           I am guilty of buying to many zucchinis. I always have the best intentions when doing so. I fully plan to use them in as many dishes as possible so I buy extras so that I won't run out. I'm ashamed to say that alot of the time they get shoved to the back of the fridge and are forgotten about until it's to late.

Thats what almost happened to the latest two that I had boughten..but I took them out and decided to use them right then and there. I didn't want bread or muffins so I decided to whip up some waffles for the boys and I to eat throughout the week. I wasn't sure how these would turn out taste wise since I've never had zucchini in waffle form before..but I am so happy to say that this is one winner of a recipe!

The batter was a bit wonky for me and it took a few tries before I got the right amount. I went with 1/2 cup at first but that proved to be to much. So then I dropped it down to 1/4 cup of batter and that seemed to do the trick. I went ahead and used whole wheat flour but you can use plain all-purpose if you prefer. I think next time I will add in some finely chopped walnuts to the batter aswell and see how that goes.

Whole-Wheat Zucchini Bread Waffles

2 medium Zucchinis,grated and drained
1-1/2 cups whole-Wheat Flour or All-purpose
1 TBS Baking Powder
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Cinnamon
1/3 cup Sugar..I reduced to a few tablespoons
1-1/2 cups Milk..I used Low Fat
2 Large Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla

In a alrge bowl,whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt,cinnamon and sugar. 

In another bowl, whisk together the milk,eggs and vanilla. Add the wet mixture to the dry and mix just until combined. Add the drained zucchini and stir just until combined.

On a preheated waffle iron,pour batter and cook according to your waffle makers instructions until golden brown. 

Serve right away or allow to cool completely before wrapping up in plastic wrap and placing in freezer. Reheat in your toaster!

Yield: Varies on the size of you waffle maker and the amount of batter you used. I got 12 Waffles with mine.
Source: May Squared
       

      






Food Holiday Link Party