Monday, March 4, 2013

Parmesan and Onion Dinner Rolls

   

              The snow is gone. The dark mornings are gone. The grey skies are gone. I woke up this morning to a bright and beautiful sky. I saw blue!!! I can not begin to tell you what a world of difference it makes when you live under a constant cloud of grey that seems to plague this country for far to long. It's beautiful and the best part? It's going to be here all week. Infact,we are supposed to hit the 50's and hello..50's in March is a beautiful thing! The birds are singing,the flowers are blooming..I'm so in love with Spring!

I'm also in love with these rolls. Like alot. A few of my friends on facebook made these and also fell inlove. They are so simple to whip up and they taste incredible. We actually had these for lunch with a slice of cheese in the middle and it was perfect. The rolls are so soft with a slightly crunchy topping that comes from the parmesan cheese and dried onions. I can see myself making these again and again and changing the topping..maybe adding in pizza seasonings with the cheese next time.

On a side note..the recipe calls for rapid rise yeast. I'm not sure we can even buy that here in The Netherlands so I used regular dry yeast and had no problems.

Parmesan and Onion dinner Rolls

2-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 TBS Sugar
1 tsp. Salt
2-1/4 tsp. Rapid Rise Yeast..I used active dry
1/2 cup Milk
1/4 cup Water
1 TBS Butter
2 Eggs
2-3 TBS Finely Grated Parmesan Cheese
1 tsp. Dried Minced Onion

In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, salt and yeast.

In a small saucepan, heat milk, water and butter until is melted and mixture reaches 115-120 degrees.

Either using a mixer or hand mixer on low or woodspoon, slowly pour liquid into bowl. Turn speed to medium for a minute or two. Add one egg and mix on medium speed. Mix until ingredients are well combined. Dough may not form into a smooth ball.

Grease your hands and a large bowl with olive oil. Knead dough for one minute by hand, shape into a smooth ball. Add to greased bowl,flip once. Cover and allow to rise in a warm spot for one hour.

Grease an 8x8 square pan with nonstick spray.

Divide dough into 9 even pieces. Shape each piece into a ball and place into prepared pan. Cover with plastic wrap that has been sprayed on the inside with nonstick spray ( you don't want your dough to stick to the plastic wrap), and allow to rise for 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Brush tops of dough with the remaining egg that has been cracked into a small bowl and beaten. Sprinkle with parmesan and dried minced onions.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until just golden brown. Serve warm.

** I went ahead and mixed the dough with a wooden spoon. I then kneaded the dough for one minute in the bowl it was in. I needed to use a tablespoon of flour to stop it from sticking. I then transfered the dough to the bowl that has been greased with olive oil.**

Yield: 9 Dinner Rolls
Source: Baked by Rachel