Monday, March 11, 2013

Cardamom Coffee Blondies

     

       I can't remember the last time I ran into the kitchen to prepare a recipe I had just pinned not 2 minutes ago. Ran I did though..right into the kitchen. I flipped the oven on,took the butter out, and dug out my container of cardamom.

The batter comes together without any effort and within 20 minutes your beautiful blondies are baking in the oven. I think I love blondies more than brownies. I think I love cardamom in blondies more than anything right now. I was a bit worried about using a full tablespoon of it though. The most I have ever used in a recipe is 1-1/2 teaspoons. I was nervous. I took my blondies out and was slightly taken back with their darker color. They weren't that..well,blond color you usually get with blondies. I believe the reason for that is Dutch brown sugar is very different from the American version. I have noticed that some of my recipes come out slightly darker and even with a different texture at times and that just simply comes down to difference in the ingredients.

I waited a full 20 minutes before I couldn't take it anymore and had to cut into them. I took a bite and closed my eyes and smiled. If you love cardamom then you will love these blondies. It has a serious punch of it and you just need to go for it and use the full tablespoon. I wish I could tell you how well it went with the instant espresso powder, but I can't. I didn't have any! I thought I did but it turned out I only had cappuccino powder. So I used that and basically don't even bother because you can't taste it anyway. So I still need to make it with the actual espresso powder but if you don't have any on hand..please just make this as is. It's really that good. The blondie is so soft,chewy around the edges and just perfect served slightly warm. They are just as awesome when cooled down but for me they really shine when warm.

My husband loved these and so did my two boys. We inhaled these poor things in no time and now I need to make more. I'm hooked.

Cardamom Coffee Blondies

1 cup Unsalted Butter,room temperature
1 cup Brown Sugar
1/2 cup Sugar
1 heaping TBS Instant Espresso Powder
1 heaping TBS Ground Cardamom
2 Eggs
1 tsp. Vanilla
2 cups All-purpose Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1-10 oz bag Bittersweet or Semi-sweet Chocolate Chips

Preheat oven to 350 or  180 celcius. Grease a 13x9 inch pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

 In a medium bowl,whisl together the flour, baking soda and salt;set aside.

In a large mixing bowl,cream together the butter,sugars,espresso powder and ground cardamom until light and fluffy,about 2-3 minutes. Beat in the eggs one at a time. Add in the vanilla.

Add the flour mixture into the butter mixture and mix just until combined. Mix in the chocolate chips with a wooden spoon.

Spread the thick batter into the prepared pan with a rubber spatula.

Bake for 30-35 minutes and make sure that you do not over bake these! you want them nice and soft and gooey in the middle..trust me on this.

Cool on wire rack before cutting..or wait 20 minutes and cut pieces off around the edge..and wait another 20 minutes and start eating the middle. It's all good.

Yield: 16 bars..or more or less depending on the size you cut them.
Source: The view from Great Island