Monday, February 25, 2013

Vanilla Chai Muffins

  

          Sunday we woke up to a bunch of snow..Booo on that! It's been bitter cold around here and all you want to do is stay inside where it's warm. I'm kinda over winter..

What I'm not over is my love for muffins! It's been awhile since I've baked any and decided to give a new recipe a try. Do any of you drink chai tea? I've had it once and did enjoy it. I've also made baked goods with the falvors of chai in there but never have I made a recipe that used the contents of a chai tea bag. Although I found these muffins to be very moist and fluffy..it lacked in flavor for me. I'm guessing maybe it had to do something with the chai tea I used..maybe the brand wasn't the best? I don't know..but I was left trying to figure out what in the world I was tasting because it didn't have anything to do with chai. I think next time I will use chai inspired spices and see how that works out.

Vanilla Chai Muffins

1-1/4 cups Flour
1/2 cup Whole Wheat Flour
1/2 cup Packed Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt
2 Vanilla Chai Blend tea bags,opened..I used regular
1 cup Low-fat Buttermilk
1/4 cup Butter,melted
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1 Large Egg,lightly beaten
2 TBS Turbinado Sugar..I left out

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Line a 12 cup muffin pan with liners and spray the liners with non stick cooking spray. 

In a large bowl, whisk together the flours,brown sugar,baking powder,baking soda,and salt. Cut open the tea bags and whisk the contents into the flour mixture;make a well in the center.

In a medium bowl,combine buttermilk,melted butter,vanilla, and egg. Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined. Fill each cup 3/4 full with batter and sprinkle each one with 1/4 teaspoon turbinado sugar.

Bake for 15 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let muffins cool in pan on wire rack for 2 minutes before removing from pan and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack..or don't wait for that and serve them warm!

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source:  Tutti-dolci