Friday, February 1, 2013

Skinny Coffee Cake

     


        I have a major obsession with coffee cake. I have dozens upon dozens pinned on pinterest and then another stack printed out and waiting to be made AND then a ton bookmarked in my cookbooks to be made. I think I prefer coffee cake to regular cake if I'm honest and could happily eat it on my birthday. I am not into the overly sweet frostings anymore and love the streusel toppings and light glazes.

However,since making a more healthy switch where food is concerned, my coffee cake habit has taken a backseat. Although I am all for indulging once and awhile, it's also good to have a lighter version of your favorite on hand. Enter, skinny coffee cake!

I was a bit leary of it all and wondering if it could hold up to the more fattening versions..and I'm happy to say that yes, yes it can. This coffee cake is super moist,a tad on the spongy/fluffy side and has a wonderful comforting flavor that leaves you feeling like you ate some sinful. We loved it and I will make it again soon.

My one and only issue was the amount of baking time. The original recipe stated 25 minutes in an 8x8 inch pan. It took me about an hour to get it baked all the way through. I should of known better when looking at the ingredients. It was raw in the middle and I worried it was going to become dry from the extra baking. It didn't and next time it will go into a 9x9 inch pan. I noticed another person had the same problem so I know it wasn't my oven.

Skinny Coffee Cake

1/3 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
2 TBS Unsalted Butter,softened
2/3 cup Brown Sugar
2 Large Eggs,room temperature
2 cups All-purpose Flour..I will sub half whole wheat next time
1  tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup Nonfat Vanilla Yogurt

Topping:

1/4 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 cup Chopped Almonds or Walnuts

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease an 8x8 inch pan ( I would go with a 9x9) with nonstick cooking spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl, whisk the flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt.

In a large bowl,beat the butter,applesauce,brown sugar,eggs and vanilla until creamed. Mix the yogurt into the mixture until fully combined. Add the flour mixture and gently mix until fully combined. Pour 1/2 of the batter into prepared baking dish.

Combine topping ingredients in a bowl and sprinkle 1/2 of it over the batter. cover with rest of the batter and smooth out with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle remaining topping over the batter.

Bake coffe cake 25 mins or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.
** Again, I suggest using a 9x9 inch pan to make sure the coffee cake is baked through at the 25 min mark**

Serve warm

Yield: 12 servings
Source: The Realistic Nutritionist