Wednesday, February 27, 2013

Skillet Chicken and Rice

         

          House hunting..what an exciting yet draining experience! We're finally to the point where we are happy to make the plunge and become first time home owners!! We've spent hours and hours..more like months and months of looking at places online and the thrill of scheduling a viewing is exciting to me. The one thing I have noticed and it doesn't matter what type of house I'm looking at, I can not stand the kitchens. The kitchens here to seem to be an afterthought and they scramble to cram it into a corner when they've realised what they have done. The plus side is that over time I can turn it into the kitchen of my dreams.

I have been relying on quicker meals when we have to dash  off to a viewing or an appointment and I know the closer we come to finding it,making the offer, and hopefully having it accepted,life is going to get nuts. So thank goodness for quick meals that don't consist of a drive-thru!

You can switch this meal up any way you like. The recipe in itself is bland if I'm honest. When picking out the frozen vegetable combination, I went with an italian blend that had a seasoning packet with it. If you are able to find a flavored package then I would go with that. If not, bump up the seasoning in this for sure. This comes together in about 35-40 mins..add a salad to it and you have a delicious healthy meal!

Skillet Chicken and Rice

1-1/4 lbs skinless,boneless chicken breasts,cubed
1-3/4 cups Chicken Broth
1/2 tsp. Basil
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste and anyother seasonings you want
3/4 cup Uncooked Regular Long-grain Rice
1-16 oz pkg Frozen Vegetable Combination 

Add a small amount of oil to a 10-inch skillet and cook the chicken over medium-high heat until well browned,stirring often. Remove the chicken from the skillet.

Stir in the broth and seasonings in the skillet and heat to a boil. Stir in the rice. Reduce the heat to low;cover and cook for 5 minutes.

Stir in the vegeables and return chicken to the skillet. Cover and cook for 15 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the rice is tender.

Yield: 4 servings
Source: Cambell's Kitchen