Friday, February 15, 2013

Healthy Whole Grain Waffles

      

        Waffles are a weak point for me..a real weak point. I can inhale a large amount dripped in butter and maple syrup without thinking twice about it. I'd be lying if I didn't say that I sometimes miss the huge amounts of food that I could eat in one sitting. Those days are long gone though and I am ok with that. I realise now that I can eat waffles in smaller amounts and be just as happy about it. 

I have also been looking for healthier alternatives and I am so happy to share this winner of a recipe with you! It's been teen approved which so helps. I know I have said it a hundred times, but I am very lucky when it comes to having a family that embraces a heathier lifestyle. My two sons kept saying how much they loved the nutty flavor and just two of the waffles kept them full until lunch time. We love these served with cut up bananas and strawberries and I like to eat mine with either a small amount of peanut butter or with Apple Spice Syrup.

Whole Grain Waffles

1-1/2 cups Whole Wheat Flour
1/4 cup Wheat Germ
2 TBS Ground Flaxseed Meal
2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 TBS Sugar or Splenda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 cups Nonfat Milk
1/3 cup Canola Oil
1 Egg
1 tsp. Vanilla

** If you want you can leave out the wheat germ and flaxseed meal..just add an additional 4 tablespoons of whole wheat flour instead..but I really encourage you to use those ingredients if you can.**

Whisk together flour,wheat germ, flaxseed meal, baking powder, sugar, and salt. In a seperate bowl, mix together the milk,oil,egg, and vanilla and whisk until combined. Add wet ingredients to dry and whisk until just mixed..do not overmix..lumps in the batter are ok!

Pour into your waffle maker and cook according to your waffle makers instructions until golden brown.

** My belgian waffle maker can handle 1/2 cup of batter for each side.**

These waffles freeze beautifully! I allowed them to cool down to room temperature and wrapped each one in plastic wrap and then put them into a large ziplock bag. You can reheat in a toaster without any problems!

Yield: I was able to get 10 belgian style waffles
Source: Our Best Bites