Monday, January 28, 2013

Spicy Honey Roasted Almonds



   One of the things my husband and I missed when we moved to The Netherlands,was flavored mixed nuts! You don't find that here..only the over the top salty variety. I started looking online a few years back for recipes and started printing them out. Then I totally forgot about it. Then I remember around christmas time and start printing our recipes again..and then I usually forget once more!

I'm happy to say that the instant I remembered about them, I went into the kitchen and made one of the recipes. What we loved about this one was that the sugar amount was low and loved how the cayenne pepper left a gentle hum in your mouth after eating a few. They are super addictive,crunchy,sweet and perfect. I used a lower amount of cayenne pepper only because I have one kid and myself included who isn't a big fan of the super spicy.

Spicy Honey Roasted Almonds

2-2 1/2 cups Raw Almonds
1/8 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Honey
1/2-3/4 tsp. Cayenne Pepper
3/4 tsp. Kosher Salt

Preheat oven to 325 or 160 celcius. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper and lightly oil it.

In a large enough bowl to accomodate the almonds,combine the sugar and salt.

Melt the honey in a large skillet over low to medium heat. Add cayenne and the almonds and stir until all of the nuts are coated with the honey and spice.

Spread nuts in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and bake for about 10 minutes. Let the almonds cool slightly and toss then in the sugar-salt mixture. Remove the parchment paper from the baking sheet and spread out the almonds on it again and let them cool completely.

Once cooled,transfer to a serving dish and enjoy!

Yield: 2-1/2 cups 
Source: Lemons and Anchovies