Monday, January 21, 2013

Lemon Poppy Seed Buttermilk Muffins

  

           Happy Monday from snowy Holland! This has been the view out of my kitchen window for almost a week now. We stayed close to home this weekend and I spent it baking and doing some house hunting online! 

       

     My wonderful neighbor and I have been exchanging baked goods for years now. She is a Turkish grandmother and  uses a walker now that has wheels on it. She has some hip problems and needs some assistance when walking..but seriously, that does not stop this woman from doing anything. She came over a few days ago with a plate of homemade dutch apple beignets. You take an apple and peel it,core it, and slice it into thick rounds. It's then dipped into a batter and fried and topped with cinnamon and powdered sugar. It's so delicious. 

As soon as I thanked her and closed the door, the wheels started turning as to what I was going to send back with her plate. From what I know of her she prefers lemon flavored items that are not overly sweet. I instantly started thinking of a lemon muffin and naturally poppy seeds came into mind right after that. So this weekend I whipped up a batch of these and took a few over to her. They have just the right amount of lemon flavor and for myself I will bump the amount of lemon extract up next time..as always I need that extra boost of lemon flavoring since I love it so much. They muffins are light and moist and perfect to give to your neighbor or as a treat for yourself :)

Lemon Poppy Seed Buttermilk Muffins

2 cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
1 TBS Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 Egg,beaten
2 TBS Butter,melted
1 cup Buttermilk
1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
Zest of 1 Lemon
2 TBS Freshly squeezed lemon juice
1-2 tsp. Lemon Extact
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
2 TBS Poppy Seeds

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Grease a muffin tin with non stick spray;set aside.

In a alrge bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt.

In another bowl, combine the egg,melted butter,buttermilk,oil,lemon zest,lemon juice and both the lmeon and vanilla extracts. Stir the wet into the dry,add the poppy seeds and mix until thoroughly combined..but make sure not to overmix! you don't want a tough muffin.

Spoon the batter evenly among the muffin tins. Bake 15-20 mins or until lightly golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Cool for 2 mins before removing to wire rack to cool completely. ** If you wanted to bump these up a notch, you could make a simple powdered sugar glaze with enough fresh lemon juice to make a drizzle consistency**

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: My Gourmet Connection