Friday, January 11, 2013

Chocolate Breakfast Muffins

 

        Did everyone survive this week? I'm happy to say we did..although we did hit a few snags this week..in the form of a leak we didn't know we had in the furnace and the lovely discovery of mold that accompanied it.

 Then there was the confrontation I had with myself over the amount of clutter I have managed to stock pile over the last 5 years and what I planned on doing about it. I decided that I needed some chocolate and could then pull my big girl panties up and deal with it all. So that's what I've been doing..dealing with it all. It's my goal to get rid of atleast 90% of what we have acquired within the next few months. I'm tired of owning 20 coffee cups when we only need 6 and we only use 4 juice glasses so why keep the other 10 around? I must be getting older because my need for a clutter free home is becoming an obsession. I'd rather have a few things that mean something to me than a house filled with a whole lot of nothing..if that makes sense. It seems like a pain right now but when we start house hunting and move hopefully this summer..everyone will be thanking me when it comes to boxing up our small amount of items.

One of my obesession that I won't let go of though is muffins! I actually made these for my oldest sons class right before christmas break. They all needed to bring in something to share for breakfast and muffins naturally sprang to mind. I sent in half of these and then half of my buttermilk banana nut muffins so they would have a variety. My son gets excited about these things because his class is made up of kids from all over. He came home and told me that he ate turkish pizza,dutch pancakes,my muffins and sushi for breakfast! There was also yogurt and bread and nutella..and well needless to say my kid spent some serious time on the couch digesting it all. He said all the kids and teachers loved the muffins and they all mentioned how moist they were and how much they loved that.

 These muffins are moist and huge..like really really big! This recipe produces a high muffin top that will either resemble a mushroom or a giant high flat top type muffin. You will worry that there is to much batter in each muffin cup..but ignore that fear and fill those suckers up...all the way. Let them sit atleast 5 minutes in the pan before trying to take them out..if you don't you will ruin the tops. So let them sit there and they will pop right out of the pan just fine. These are big beautiful chocolatey muffins that beg to be drank with a hot cup of coffee or a cold glass of milk.

Have a great weekend!

Chocolate Breakfast Muffins

2/3 cup (2 ounces) Dutch Cocoa Powder
1-3/4 cups (7-1/4 ounces) All-purpose Flour
1-3/4 cups (9-3/8 ounces) Light Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp. Espresso Powder;optional
1 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup (6 ounces) Chocolate Chips
2 Large Eggs
3/4 cup (6 ounces) Milk
2 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. Vinegar
1/2 cup (4 ounces) Butter,melted;or 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
Coarse white or pearl sugar,for topping (optional)

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a muffin pan with muffin cups, and GREASE the cups..don't forget to do that.

In a large bowl,whisk together the cocoa,flour,sugar,baking powder,esporesso pwder,baking soda,salt and chocolate chips;set aside.

In a medium bowl,whisk together the eggs,milk,vanilla and vinegar. Add the wet ingredients,along with the metled butter or oil,to the dry ingredients,stirring to blend..do not over mix, just make sure everything is well-combined.

Scoop the batter into the prepared muffins cups..filling them to the top..it will look like alot of batter but thats what you want! a wonderful mushroom/high top muffin. Sprinkles with sugar if desired.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and allow to sit in the tin for 5 minutes. Remove and allow to cool another 15 minutes on a wire rack before peeling off the papers and enjoying.

Yield: 12 Big Muffins
Source: King Arthur Flour