Monday, December 17, 2012

Raw-Lemon Coconut Bars

  

       The shooting in CT has been all over the news here in The Netherlands. I sat on the coffee table in front of the tv with my hands over my face. I just couldn't believe it. I don't even have the words for something like this. The grief is being felt all over the world and my thoughts and prayers are with the families during this time. I can honestly say that the older I get, the more I don't understand alot of things...espically when it's these types of things.

I do know that when I'm stressed and thinking about things I tend to head into the kitchen and make something. I was thinking of my two boys and the panic quickly rises in you and you want to keep them inside and away from everything. The only way I know how to do that is by baking. I whipped up this nutritious snack that went over way better than I had ever imagined. I guess these are like Larabars..have you ever had those? I haven't and I'm not sure where to buy them here if I could. I did notice that alot of my friends from back home complained of the price tag and it was then that I started noticing all of these home made versions of the bars. A friend on facebook came back from the U.S. raving about them and set out to find a recipe she liked. She came back with this one and I made it right away. I loved it..more than I thought I would. Now Im on the look out for more of these recipes. 

The only change I made was to use sweetened coconut instead of the unsweetened. I think it went better with the lemon zest and added a touch of sweetness to the whole mix.

Raw-Lemon Coconut Bars

3/4 cup Plus 1 TBS Almond Meal or 1 cup sliced or slivered almonds
1-1/2 cups Pitted Dates or 1-1/4 cups Chopped Dates or Raisins
1 cup Unsweetened Dried Shredded Coconut
Zest of 1 Lemon
2 TBS Lemon Juice

If using chopped dates,cover them with warm water, and let them soak for 5 minutes; then drain. If using sliced or slivered almonds,place them into your food processor and mix until a meal forms.

Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of almond meal over the bottom of an 8 inch square pan. Add the remaining mix to the food processor and mix until well combined..(looking back I should of whirled them longer.,mine came out slightly crumbly and it should be more of a dense type of mixture..so whirl the poo out of it all). Press into prepared pan. 

Chill for atleast 2 hours or until firm and then cut into 12 squares. Wrap each piece in wax paper and keep covered in an airtight container. ( I went ahead and just layered wax paper between each layer of bars. They didn't last more than a day in my house!)

the website has some variations on this recipe if you aren't a fan of lemon..make sure to check them out!

Yield: 12 Bars
Source: Rodale