Monday, December 10, 2012

Gingerbread Donuts

  

        I'm in full on christmas mode and that means baking,baking and more baking. As I'm shoveling down my healthy breakfast, lunch and dinners I'm follwing them up with donuts,cookies and chocolate. It sort of defeats the purpose of the healthy meals in between I'm sure..but it makes me feel better and stops the scale from budging :)

I made these donuts on saturday and instantly fell in love. If you aren't a big gingerbread fan then I think you will still love these. I would say these have more of a spice cake flavor than a gingerbread. Thats totally ok though because these guys are so delicious. The icing is the star and one that should not be left out or tweaked in anyway. It has a caramel-like flavor that pairs so well with the spice flavor of the donut. I went ahead and made these again this morning because my photos from saturday came out horrible...the things I do for photos :)

         

    As I was about to make the frosting it hit me that the caramel and spice flavor would also go very well with coconut. So I covered mine in it and I'm happy to say that it made these donuts even better! If you aren't a coconut fan then don't worry about it. The glaze is more than enough.

This recipe will make either 6 large donuts or 24 minis and here is the perfect way to enjoy them: All the lights off except for your christmas tree lights. Turn on the coffee,put on the christmas music,kick your feet up and enjoy.

Gingerbread Donuts

1 cupAll-purpose Flour
3/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp.Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Ground Ginger
Pinch of Allspice
Pinch of Cloves
1/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 egg
1/4 cup Applesauce
2 TBS Maple Syrup..I used honey
2 TBS Milk
2 TBS Unsalted Butter,melted

Glaze:
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1 TBS Milk
2 TBS Unsalted Butter
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 6 cup donut pan or a mini donut pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a large bowl,whisk flour,baking powder,baking soda,cinnamon,ginger,allspice,cloves,salt, and brown sugar.
  In another bowl,mix together the egg,applesauce,maple syrup,milk, and melted butter. Pour the wet into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined ( the batter is really thick but thats ok).

Place the batter into a large ziplock bag and cut the tip of one corner. Pipe batter into each tin halfway full...Or do I like do and just spoon it into the wells and gently smooth it around. If using the 6 cup donut pan,fill those suckers up  :)

Bake 7-8 minutes for the minis and 10 for the larger  ones. Allow to cool for a few minutes before removing them to a wire rack.

To make the glaze,melt the butter with the brown sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring the mixture to a boil and allow to boil for about 2 minutes,whisking and watching it carefully so it doesn't burn.(I turned the heat down on mine the second time I made the glaze to make sure it didn't burn. The first time the glaze came out darker..still tasted perfect but this time it looked more like it should because of the lower heat).

Add the milk and allow the mixture to come to a boil again. Add the powdered sugar and whisk until smooth. If the glaze is to thick (and it will be), add a few drops of milk. Turn the heat to low, and dip the donuts into the warm glaze..be careful not to touch the glaze with your fingers..it will burn! Set the glazed donuts on a wire rack to harden..and it will happen within 15-30 seconds. Serve once the glaze has set.

If you want to add any toppings do it right away before the glaze sets!

Yiled: 24 Minis or 6 Large
Source: Juanita's Cocina