Thursday, December 13, 2012

Chocolate Rum Snowballs

 


         Have you started your holiday baking yet? I know that so many bloggers out there start their posts close to the end of November but honestly, I am just not in the mood for it until December actually hits. Then when the time has come I pretty much know what I'm baking. We stick to what we love the most and then I will add a few new ones here and there.

This is one of the newer recipes I have tried over the last week and we LOVED it! These are very much like a mexican wedding cake only with chocolate and rum! The original recipe calls for rum but I don't keep alcohol in the house. I have no ide as to why either. I'm not opposed to the odd drink here and there but for the most part I am not a fan of the alcohol flavor. So I swapped it for the extract and it was incredible. If you aren't a fan of rum flavoring no matter what,sub in 1 tablespoon of strong brewed coffee..if you aren't a fan of coffee flavor then I'm totally out of options for you at this point :) These are buttery,chocolatey and a new favorite around these parts!

Chocolate Rum Snowballs
3/4 cup (170grams) Unsalted Butter,softened to room temp
1 tsp. Vanilla 
1 TBS Dark Rum or 3/4 tsp. Rum Extract
1/4 tsp.  Salt
1/3 cup Sugar
1-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
6 oz Chopped Dark Chocolate or Semi Sweet Chocolate
1 cup Chopped Walnuts or Pecans
1 cup Powdered Sugar..for sprinkling

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

In a large bowl,combine butter,vanilla,rum,salt and sugar. Beat on medium-high speed with an electric mixer until creamy,about 3-5 minutes. Add the flour and cinnamon and beat until well combined. Stir in the chocolate and nuts by hand using a large wooden spoon until evenly distributed ( you can of course use a stand mixer in which case,use the paddle attachment to cream and then switch over to a large rubber spatular and stir in the chocolate and nuts).

Form dough into 1-inch round balls. Place the balls of dough onto prepared sheet,leaving about 1/2 inch of space between each.

Bake 18-20 minutes,until the edges are golden brown and tops are very dry. Allow to sit for 2 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool a further 5-6 minutes.

While still warm,sift desired amount of powdered sugar over the cookies. You can also just dip the tops into a bowl of powdered sugar..which is what I did.

Yiled: 19-20 cookies
Source: Une Gamine Dans La Cuisine