Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Chicken Barley Soup

    

        As I type this entry I'm watching the snow fall outside my large front window. The movie,It's A Wonderful Life is on and I've got bread baking in the oven. I'm telling you right here and now that my simple little life is a blessed one. The older I get the more I realise how important the small things in life are. We tend to rush through the small things because they are either inconvenient or we simply don't see how important those little moments really are.

The christmas lights are on and my house smells like parmesan from the bread baking. Tonight we will be having a simple meal and watching christmas movies together while we eat cookies. I know it's these moments my two sons will look back on one day and talk about. How when they would come home and the christmas music would be blaring and the smell of chicken soup and bread would be hitting them in the face. How they would ask right away if I had baked something that day for dessert fully knowing I was going to say no,that I just hand't gotten around to it but maybe tomorrow. How after dinner I would then walk into the kitchen and come out with something that made them glad they saved room for. My life is simple..but full.

This is the soup we will be eating tonight. It's a simple recipe that tastes wondeful. Serve in big bowls with hot steaming bread thats been slathered in butter.

Chicken Barley Soup

1  Whole Chicken (2-3lbs) cut up..I used thighs
8 cups Water
1-1/2 cups Chopped Carrots
1 cup Chopped Celery
1/2 cup Meadium Pearl Barley
1/2 cup Chopped Onion
1 tsp. Chicken  Bouillon Granules
1 tsp. Salt;optional
1 Bay Leaf;optional
1/2 tsp. Poultry Seasoning
1/2 tsp. Pepper
1/2 tsp. Rubbed Sage

In a large stock pot,cook chicken in water until tender. Set chicken aside until cool enough to handle. Cool broth and skim off fat. Remove meat from bones;discard bones and cut chicken into cubes.

 Return chicken to stockpot along with remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;cover and simmer for 1 hour or until vegetables and barley are tender. Discard bay leaf and serve.

Yield: 5 Servings
Source: Taste of Home