Friday, November 2, 2012

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Quick Bread

  

          It's friday! Did everyone survive this week? I don't know about you but I've got Thanksgiving on the brain and christmas is pushing its way in aswell. I'm making plans with another expat to visit a German christmas market and  I'm busy scouting out which new one we need to visit. I was actually dreading this time of year during the summer. When you deal with unpredictable summers ( cold,rain,and then sometimes sun and warmth) you want to hold on to the sunny days and banish any thoughts of cold snowy temps that bring on the christmas markets and holiday baking. It was the first time that I wasn't looking forward to christmas. I'm happy to say that now that we are moving closer to it, I am super excited! I still don't want to the snow but I will take christmas markets,foods to eat,friends to visit with and gifts to buy anytime :)

I've got a quick bread recipe to share with you that just begs to be served with some hot soup or chili. There are times when I kick myself for not baking bread to go along with our dinner. When those times hit I start looking at some sort of quick bread to serve with it. If you are afraid of yeast or kneading then this is the recipe for you. It's a moist loaf but very crumbly so don't go trying to slice small pieces. You want them nice and thick and slathered with butter.

Whole Wheat Oatmeal Quick Bread

1 cup + 1 TBS Whole Wheat Pastry Flour,divided
1-1/3 cups All-purpose Flour
2-1/4 tsp. Baking  Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1-1/4 tsp. Salt
1 cup + 1 TBS Old-fashioned Rolled Oats,divided
8 ounces Plain Yogurt
1 Large Egg
1/4 cup Canola Oil
2 TBS Brown Sugar
3/4 cup Buttermilk

Pre heat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Grease a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray and sprinkle pan evenly with 1 TBS whole wheat flour.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the remaining flour,baking powder, baking soda, salt and 1 cup of the oats.

In another bowl,combine the yogurt,egg,oil,brown sugar and buttermilk. Add the wet ingredients into the dry mixture and mix just until combined.

Pour batter into prepared pan and evenly spread out with a rubber spatula. Sprinkle the top with remaining 1 TBS of Oats.

Bake 40-45 minutes or until bread is golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 15 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 1-Loaf
Source: Healthy Food For Living