Thursday, November 1, 2012

Quinoa & White Bean Casserole with Caramelised Onions

 

      Wow it's Nov 1st! I can't believe it. In exactly one month I will be 38..yikes! Yesterday for Halloween I took my youngest sons class bags of candy with homemade Caramel Corn and baked some cupakes for them. They were of course super excited because they don't really celebrate it here and the teacher actually wantd a full on explanation of the day and if we eat a large feast at home for it? haha..I said it was more about the candy and not really about the food.

I'm also very aware of Hurricane Sandy and my thoughts and prayers are with everyone back home. We get updates on the news over here and it was so shocking to see it all.

I keep harping on about Quinoa but if you haven't tried it..what in the world is stopping you?? you treat it much like rice and it's a cinch to cook. This dish was out of this world. I was a bit concerned that my youngest wouldn't like the caramelised onions and I don't use balsamic vinegar that much so I wasn't sure how it was all going to play out. I'm happy to say each and everyone one of us loved it and couldn't stop talking about it. This will be showing up on our regular rotation meal plan for sure!

Go make it!!!

Quinoa  & White Bean Casserole w/ Caramelised Onions

1 TBS Extra Virgin Olive Oil
3 Onions,peeled and sliced thin
1/2 tsp. Sea Salt
1 TBS Balsamic Vinegar
2 tsp. Minced Garlic
1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1/2 cup White Wine..I used Broth
3 cups Cannellini Beans (about 2 cans) drained and rinsed
3 cups Cooked Quinoa
1 cup Vegetable or Chicken Broth
1 tsp. Fresh Rosemary,minced
3/4 cup Grated White Cheese,divided
1/2 cup Low Fat Cream Cheese

Pre heat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Spray a 2-1/2 or 3 Qt. baking dish with nonstick spray.

Heat the oil on medium-high in a large saucepan. Add onions and salt and cook for about 7 minutes,stirring occasionally. Reduce heat to medium low and cook for 20 minutes. Add balsamic vinegar and cook for 5 minutes more. Stir in garlic and red pepper flakes and cook until fragrant. Add wine or broth and cook for one minute,scraping the bottom of the pan. Remove onions from heat and place in prepared baking dish ( leave any remaining broth in saucepan)

Add beans,quinoa,vegetable broth and rosemary to saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Stir in 1/4 cup cheese and cream cheese. Stir until well combined. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place mixture over onions. Top with remaining cheese and additional red pepper flakes and pepper if desired.

Bake 20-25 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before serving.

Yield:6 servings
Source: Cooking Quinoa