Tuesday, November 13, 2012

No-Bake Pumpkin Pie

   

       Last year a dear friend sent me a can of pumpkin. My two sons were instantly excited because they knew that on Thanksgiving they would be getting a pie. Growing up I always passed on the pie. I'd rather have third second helpings of stuffing and turkey more than pie. I don't even care for pecan pie all that much..waaaay to sweet for me

However, the boys really wanted pie. So pie I was going to make! I went hunting online for recipes and it became very daunting when I had to consider the whole pie crust tackling. I just didn't feel like it. Plus..I have a really small kitchen..infact HERE is a post about how small my kitchen is. I don't have space to really roll anything out and don't get me started on my oven that only has ONE rack on the inside and can barely fit a standard sized cookie sheet! My stuffing is made in the crockpot,we don't even bother with a turkey but instead we buy a few small roasted chickens and then we round the meal out with a No Mushroom Soup Green Bean Casserole  mashed potatoes and deviled eggs. I like to keep it simple.

So here is a super simple no-bake pumpkin pie that tastes like the real deal. I was nervous that it wouldn't come together but the flavor is spot on. You pop it into the fridge for a few hours and can happily get on with other things. My two sons were so happy which in return makes me happy. I will be making this again on Thanksgiving but using pumpkin puree I made and froze about a month ago. 

No-Bake Pumpkin Pie

1 envelope Knox Unflavored Geletin
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 (14-ounce) can Eagle Brand Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated)
2 eggs, well beaten
1 (16-ounce) can pumpkin (about 2 cups)
Graham Cracker pie crust..I make my own

In heavy medium saucepan, combine unflavored gelatine, cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and salt; stir in sweetened condensed milk and eggs. Mix well. Let stand 1 minute. Over low heat, cook and stir constantly until gelatine dissolves and mixture thickens slightly, about 10 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in pumpkin; mix well. Pour into prepared crust. Chill 3 hours or until set. Garnish as desired. Refrigerate leftovers.

Yield: 1 Pumpkin Pie