Monday, November 19, 2012

Jam Drop Biscuits

 

        I woke up saturday morning bright and early. I am not one of those people who sleeps in on the weekends. I am a full on chipper morning person who likes to get as much done as possible before the afternoon hits. I quietly crept down the stairs and headed for the kitchen. I popped three vitamin c,started the coffee and turned the oven on. It was biscuit making time.

      

      I wasn't in the mood for a muffin and to be honest..I'm muffined out! So biscuits for the family it was! I whipped up the ingredients really quickly,plopped it onto the baking sheet and picked out 3 different jam flavors to go inside the thumbprints you make in each biscuit.

     

    My husband was the first to stumble down when he smelled the coffee. He smiled when he saw the biscuits and mentioned how much he loved saturday mornings. The boys slept in while my husband and I enjoyed a quiet morning of delicious fluffy biscuits with coffee and a program with David Attenborough. The simple life agrees with us.

Jam Drop Biscuits

2 cups All-purpose Flour
3 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Sugar
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Cream of Tartar
1/2 cup Butter,sliced into small cubes
3/4 cup Milk..regular or fat free works
Jam..One flavor or several

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease with nonstick spray.

In a bowl, combine flour,baking powder,sugar,salt, and cream of tartar. Cut in butter until it resembles coarse crumbs, Add milk,stir quickly with a fork just until combined.  

Drop by rounded tablespoons full onto prepared pan. Make a deep thumbprint in tops; fill each with 1 teaspoon of jam.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until biscuits are browned.

Yield: 10-12 Biscuits
Source: Taste of Home