Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Cheeseburger Macaroni

 


         I was seriously dreading the colder weather but now that it's here..I'm liking it. It's mostly due to the meals that come along with the cooler temps..soups,stews,chili's,casseroles..the meal in one that we all seem to flock to during this time.

 I've got the christmas music on all day long and this weekend we will be buying and decorating the christmas tree. The litle old man that I buy it from never forgets me. I am the only one who comes in to purchase a tree. The Dutch for the most part do not put up their tree until after Sinterklaas..which is on Dec 5. Not me though..nope,I am there bright and early on Dec 1st with a smile on my face. He laughs at me as I walk around all the trees eyeing each one. I am not a picky tree picker..when I see it, I know it and that's that. It usually takes me less than 5 minutes to pick it out. Oh how I love this time of year!

This dish would be perfect to serve after a day of tree buying and decorating. It's warm,cheesy and just perfect. Serve in bowls along side freshly baked bread.

Cheeseburger Macaroni

2-1/2 cups Chicken Broth
2 tsp. Dijon Mustard
1/2 cup Ketchup
1/4 cup Tomato Paste
1 tsp. Garlic Powder
1 tsp. Salt
2 tsp. Olive Oil
1 lb. Ground Beef,chicken,turkey or soy crumbles
1 Medium Onion,diced
1/4 tsp. Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
2 cups Dry Macaroni
1 cup Grated Cheddar Cheese

In a medium bowl,wisk together the broth,mustard,ketchup,tomato paste,garlic powder and salt. Set aside.

In a large skillet over medium-hugh heat,warm the olive oil. Brown the beef and onions,breaking apart the meat,until the onions are soft and the beef is cooked through,about 3-4 minutes. Add the red pepper flakes and combine. Drain off grease and return to pan to heat.

Give the broth mixture a quick stir and pour it over the beef. Bring to a boil and add the macaroni; Reduce heat to medium, and cover. Continue cooking 10-12 minutes,until the pasta is tender,stirring a few times to make sure the pasta doesn't stick to the bottom.

When done,sprinkles the cheese on top and stir until melted.

Yield: 4 servings
Source: Very Culinary