Friday, November 9, 2012

Banana Buttermilk Biscuits

   

       Happy Friday! What a long week this was..I'm so glad the elections are over. I can not believe the vile comments people left for eachother on facebook..family members unfriending eachother,friends no longer speaking..it was a bit much if you ask me. I sometimes think social forums like that are not always a good thing. I've learned things about friends and family that I honestly wished I didn't know.

You know what I am glad for though? these biscuits. I never ever thought to put a mashed banana in a biscuit but now that I have,I am sooooo loving it! These biscuits are everything you expect from a buttermilk biscuit; fluffy,moist,tender and so very moreish. The banana kicks these up a notch by adding a wonderful sweeteness and of course banana flavor. We split these opened and enjoyed them with peanut butter and honey. I suggest you do the same!

These biscuits are going to be sticky so be ready for that. You are going to need alot of flour to pat them out onto aswell as dusting the top as you cut them out. These are a perfect way to start your weekend!

Banana Buttermilk Biscuits

2-1/4 cups All-purpose Flour
1 TBS Sugar
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 tsp. Salt
1/4 cup Butter,diced into small chunks
3/4 cup Buttermilk
1/2 cup Mashed Banana
1 tsp. Vanilla

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper or grease with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl,combine the flour,sugar,baking powder,baking soda, and salt. Cut in butter ( I use my fingers) until everything looks like coarse crumbs. Slowly stir in buttermilk,mashed banana and vanilla and stir to moisten.

Pat dough on a well floured surface until about 1-inch thick. do not over work dough or it will create a tough biscuit. If dough is to moist,slowly add a bit more flour until workable.

Using a floured 3 inch biscuit cutter,cut out dough and place onto prepared pan.

Bake for 15 minutes or until biscuits are light golden brown. Serve warm with butter,honey or peanut butter.

Yiled: 10-12 Biscuits
Source: Dine and Dish