Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Apple Spice Syrup

 

        I love syrup..what I should say is that I like fake syrup. I will pass up real maple syrup and go straight for the sticky sweet fake stuff. I'm not sorry about it either. Real maple syrup lacks the actual punch of maple flavoring that I love so much. I will bake with the real stuff but I always end up adding in maple extract to get the flavor I want. The fake stuff isn't really all that healthy for you and although I do always have home made on hand, I am always looking for something else that I can have on a regular basis and not feel bad about.

       

     My answer to that is apple spice syrup! This little wonder is healthy,low in calories, and can be used for many different things. I enjoyed it on pancakes,muffins,ice cream and by the spoonful. Here's the quirky thing about this syrup: because it contains cornstarch to thicken it, it gets more jelly-like when it cools down. Now this might bug some of you and if it does,gently heat it up and whisk the poo out of it until it smoothes out. However when it reaches that state you can use it to smear onto muffins,sandwiches,top ice cream with it,stir it into your yogurt or dozens of other things I'm not thinking of right now.

If you are looking for something different than the usual maple syrup then I hope you will give this recipe a try!

Apple Spice Syrup

1/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
2 TBS Cornstarch
1/4 tsp. Allspice,Apple Pie Spice or Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. Ground Nutmeg
1-3/4 cups Apple Juice or Apple Cider

In a saucepan, combine the brown sugar,cornstarch,and spices;whisk well. Add juice. Cook and stir (or whisk) over medium heat until syrup is bubbly and slightly thickened.

Once it cools down you can use it right away and then let it cool completely before storing in an airtight container in the fridge. When you want to re-heat it,pop it into the microwave for a few seconds and whisk it up really good until it becomes smoother. I was never able to get it completely back to the more syrup-like state but once you smear it onto pancakes or waffles you can over look that part  :)

Yiled: 1-3/4 cups..3 tablespoons has only 53 calories!
Source: Taste of Home