Monday, October 15, 2012

Pumpkin Pie Muffins

  

        I've finally come to terms with the fact that I am not a pumpkin person. I'm just not. Every fall when bloggers start posting the non stop pumpkin recipes I start thinking that maybe I have it wrong. I suppose there is a reason I could pass by pumpkin pies back home during Thanksgiving and never going out of my way to bake with it. I need to trust myself in the fact that it really is ok that I don't find pumpkin flavored anything all that special. I have 3 pumpkin recipes to share and I'm afraid thats going to be it for this blogger. I think towards Thanksgiving I will have one more to post but then thats it. I have frozen the last of my puree and I'm all about the apples and maple flavoring now!

I suppose thats a bad way to start a recipe that does infact contain pumpkin in it. In my defense this was one recipe that came the closest in actually tasting like pumpkin. The longer these muffins sat in the fridge the better the flavor was. They are super moist,slightly dense and the longer you let them sit the better the flavor is. Infact I wouldn't even try one for the first day or so. I made the mistake of eating one while it was warm and all I could taste was egg. When it cooled down and became cold..almost like a pumpkin pie. The boys were happy and my husband passed on these..which means in the pumpkin flavored category these rated way to much like the real thing for his liking :)

P.S. They are pretty easy on the calorie scale aswell!

Pumpkin Pie Muffins

1 Egg
2 Egg Whites 
1/4 cup Brown Sugar
1/3 cup Sugar
1-1/4 cups Pumpkin Puree
1/2 cup Half-n-Half (I used low fat) or Unsweetened Coconut
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
3/4 cup Whole Wheat Pastry  Flour
1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
1/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/4 tsp. Salt

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick spray;set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, egg whites and both sugars until combined. Add the pumpkin puree,half-n-half, and vanilla; mix until combined. Add the pumpkin pie spice and mix until combined.

In a small bowl,whisk together the flour,baking powder,baking soda and salt. Slowly pour the flour mixture into the pumpkin mixture and whisk ( or mix with a large spoon) just until combined. Fill prepared cups 3/4 of the way full.

Bake 20-25 mins,or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool for a few minutes in pan and then remove to cool completely on a wire rack. Store in airtight container in the fride.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: Peanut Butter and Peppers