Monday, October 8, 2012

Mini Honey Corn Dog Muffins

  

        Out of all the foods in the U.S. that my youngest son could possibly miss..he picks corn dogs. He has talked about them for 5 very long years. Those suckers seriously left an impression on him. I have never made them here because I am not a fan of deep frying and deep frying could possibly lead me to making real donuts and that could be a very bad thing. I won't even heat oil up in a large pan. I hate the smell,the mess and all the wonderful fattening possibilites it will open up for me. So I put him off as long as I could..5 years to be exact!

I spotted this recipe and decided to finally give it a shot. I realise that baked corn dogs are not the same and I knew that going into it. What I was hoping for was a strong enough resemblance that my youngest son would be very happy with the alternative. Boy did I strick gold! The mini corn dogs really do have the taste of the ones back home and even I remembered how good they were after that. I've made these two times already and he's asking for them again this week. You can use any sort of hot dog or chicken dog or veggie dog that you want. You could also change it up by adding in a cup of your favorite cheese..mini cheese corn dogs don't sound half bad either!

I literally used a one tablespoon measuring spoon when portioniong out the dough. The recipe stated it yields around 26-30..I got 42. Noone here is complaining though.

Mini Honey Corn Dogs

1/2 cup Butter, melted
1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
1/4 cup Sugar
1 TBS Honey
2 Eggs
1 cup Buttermilk
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 cup Cornmeal
1 cup All-purpose Flour
1/2 tsp. Salt
6-8 Hotdogs of choice,cut into 1 inch cubes

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Spray a mini muffin pan with nonstick spray;set aside.

In a alrge bowl,combine the butter,applesauce,sugar and honey and mix until combined. Add the eggs, and mix until combined. Add buttermilk and stir until smooth.

In a seperate bowl,combine the baking soda,cornmeal,flour,and salt. Slowly add half the dry mixture to the wet ingredients,stir until combined, then add the remaining half and mix just until combined.

Scoop 1 tablespoon of batter into each mini muffin cup. Press one hot dog cube into the middle of each batter cup.

Bake 10-12 minutes or until cornbread is golden brown. Cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing and allowing to cool on wire rack. Serve warm with mustard and ketchup! Store the leftovers in a covered container in the fridge.

Yield: 30-42..depending on your tablespoon size
Source: Mrs. Regueiro's Plate