Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Honey White Bread

   

         I have a stack of bread recipes that I need to blog..a full stack! Each week I am baking one to two loaves..some new and some that we have really liked from the previous ones I have baked. I still need to tackle sour dough since that is my all time favorite bread in the whole world and can't get it here. I'm teaching myself how to bake twisty shaped breads,stuffed breads and everything else in between. I wish they offered bread baking classes here that center around the artisan type breads..but they don't so I will continue to teach myself :)

This honey sweetened bread is one of our favorites. It's super soft and moist and is perfect toasted with peanut butter and a mashed banana on top. It holds up to french toast or just slathered in butter..you can't go wrong with this wonderful honey scented loaf.

Honey White Bread

1-1/4 cups Warm Milk
3 TBS Unsalted Butter,softened
5 TBS Honey,divided
2-1/4 tsp. Active Dry Yeast
3 cups Bread Flour,plus more for kneading
3/4 tsp. Kosher Salt
1 tsp. Warm Water

In a large bowl,combine milk,butter,1 tablespoon honey, and yeast. Stir to dissolve and let stand until foamy, about 10 minutes.

Add another 3 tablespoons honey and 1 cup flour. Stir to combine. Add salt and enough remaining flour to create a firm dough. Turn onto a floured surface and knead 8-10 mins. Shape dough into a ball and place into a bowl that has been lightly greased with oil;turn to coat,cover with plastic wrap and allow to rise in a warm spot until doubled,about 1 hour.

Coat a 9x5 inch loaf pan with nonstick spray. Turn risen dough onto a floured surface and shape into a loaf. Place into prepared pan. Cover loosely with plastic wrap that has been sprayed with nonstick spray. Allow to rise for another 30 minutes.

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Combine remaining tablespoon of honey with a teaspoon of warm water, and brush over the surface of the risen dough. Bake until goldn brown and hollow sounding,about 30-40 minutes. Cool 10 mins in pan,remove and allow to cool completely on a wire rack.

** As always I need extra flour due to living in a humid climate so take into account your weather that day when baking this bread. You might also need additional flour**

Yield: 1 Loaf
Source: The Everything Bread Cookbook