Friday, October 19, 2012

Cheesy Zucchini Rice

  

          The last two fridays I have mentioned the cold rainy conditions..I am happy to report that today I am wearing a pair of capris,the house is airing out and I've got hamburger buns rising in the window! Yes my friends..we have sun and warmth! It's in the upper 60's and thats pretty much summer weather for us. I love it!

Do you have trouble coming up with side dishes as much as I do? I must confess that for the most part our side dishes consist of salad,steamed broccoli,cauliflower or sauteed veggies. I lack inspiration for sure and thats why I was so excited to try this recipe! I've paired zucchini with rice before but more along the lines of a stir fry..never like this though. We pretty much wolfed it down and agreed I needed to make it more often and use it not only as a side dish but as a main entree. Infact I spotted another recipe from this blogger that makes this the as the main dish but with a few twists. I made it and we equally loved it. So be on the look out for that recipe next week!

Please make this..even if you aren't a zucchini fan you can still enjoy this without tasting it. I promise.

Cheesy Zucchini Rice

1 TBS Olive Oil
1 cup Long-Grain White Rice..I used Basmati
2 cups Chicken Broth
2 TBS Butter
1 Medium or 2 Small Zucchini,grated
1 cup (4ounces) Shredded Sharp Cheddar Chees
1/2 sp. Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper,to taste
Splash of Milk,as needed

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the rice and stir to coat, Toast rice,stirring often,just until it starts to turn golden.

Pour in chicken broth,bring to a boil,turn heat to low,and cover. Cook covered for 15-20 minnutes or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.

Remove from heat and add butter,grated zucchini,cheddar, and garlic powder. Stir until well incorporated. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

Stir again and add salt and pepper to taste and a splash of milk if you'd like to thin out the texture a bit.

Yield:4-6 side dishes
Source: Buns In My Oven