Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Cheesy Broccoli and Ham Rice



       I hate royal icing. I spent the better part of the day cursing like a sailor and talking myself out of having a full on meltdown. All because of royal freaking icing. My husbands co worker popped the question to his long time girlfriend over the weekend and came in on tuesday asking if I could possibly make a three-tiered wedding cake in June and could I possible bake up some cookies,decorate them and then pipe on some lettering for him by sunday? What? did I just hear all of that correctly? you want me to do what with a cake and pipe what? I don't pipe. Like at all. So I said sure of course because I really like the guy. I said no to the cake order though because there is no way I can deal with that sort of pressure..espically after my almost complete meltdown over having to do 4 cookies. Plus we plan on moving by the time the wedding is happening and yeah..I don't pipe..I mentioned that right? Royal icing is kicking my butt left and right. I can make the edges fine,flooding is no problem, but writing..wow do I stink at it. I have until sunday to get my act together. So what in the world does this have to do with this recipe? nothing really..I just hate royal icing!

Friday I posted the zucchini rice recipe and mentioned that I would share another recipe that is basically the same on but with a few twists..So here it is. The twist of course is the addition of broccoli and ham. This dish is a one pot wonder and can be on the table in around 30 minutes. We loved every single thing about this..the sharp cheese,the perfectly cooked broccoli and the bits of ham in every bite. If you aren't a broccoli fan then I imagine frozen peas tossed in will go down just aswell. The only change I made was to add in a diced onion. I sauteed it before adding in the rice.

Cheesy Broccoli and Ham Rice

1 TBS Olive Oil
1 cup Long-Grained White Rice..I used Basmati
2-1/4 cups Chicken Broth
2 Small heads of Broccoli
2 TBS Butter
3 cups Cooked Diced Ham,Hot ( warm up in the microwave)
1 cup Shredded Sharp Cheddar Cheese
1/2 tsp. Garlic Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Splash of Milk as needed

Heat olive oil in medium saucepan or medium heat. Add rice and stir to coat. Toast the rice,stirring often,just until it starts to turn golden. Pour in the broth,bring to a boil,turn to low, and cover. Cook covered,for 10 minutes.

While rice is cooking,chop broccoli into small bite-sized pieces. After 10 minutes,add broccoli to the rice and continuing cooking 5-10 minutes or until most of the liquid has been absorbed. ( The broccoli will cook for 5-10 mins and steam for another 5. If you'd like it more tender,add it to the pan sooner..mine was plenty soft though)

Remove from heat and add the butter,ham,cheddar and garlic powder. Stir until well combined. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.

Stir again and season to taste with salt and pepper. Add a splash of milk if you'd like to thin it out a bit.

Serves:5-6 as a main dish
Source: Buns In My Oven