Monday, October 1, 2012

Apple Cider Muffins

  

        Wow,it's October 1st! Where has the time gone? It's going to be christmas before we know it..Has anyone started preparing for christmas yet? The Dutch always make fun of me when I tell them how much I love christmas. I am the only one on my street that has their christmas tree up by  Dec 1st and they can not believe it when I tell them that when renting a home the first thing I consider is where the tree will go. I know I'm not crazy because everyone I know practically does the same thing as I do! I suppose I should be talking about Halloween instead of christmas..but we don't have  halloween over here so I can't help it.

Lets talk muffins instead :) Apples really say fall to me..apples,walnuts,maple syrup,cinnamon and crisps..I do so love fall. These muffins are perfect on a cold fall morning with a hot cup of coffee ( thats exactly how I ate them saturday morning.) They are super moist,not overly sweet and just perfect. I tweaked the recipe a bit but was very happy with the changes. I wish you all a wonderful week ahead! 

Apple Cider Muffins

1 cup All-purpose Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat  Flour
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Apple Pie Spice
1/4 cup Butter,softened
1/3 cup Sugar
1/3 cup Light Brown Sugar
1 tsp. Vanilla OR 1/2 tsp. Butter Vanilla..I used that :)
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Apple Cider or Apple Juice
1 Large Apple,cored and chopped into chunks

Pre heat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick spray;set aside.

In a medium bowl,combine flours,baking powder,baking soda,salt,cinnamon and apple pie spice.

In a large bowl,cream together the butter and sugars until creamy. Beat in the eggs and the vanilla. Alternate mixing in dry ingredients with the apple cider ( about half at a time) until just mixed. Stir in apple chunks.

Divide batter evenly among muffin pan.

Bake 20-25 mins or until toothpick insterted comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for one minute before removing and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack. Serve warm with apple butter  :)

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: Sweet Treats and More