Monday, September 24, 2012

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

 

     Well..it's officially fall in The Netherlands! We decided to celebrate by all getting sick! I finally caught it on friday and it's one of those colds that leads you to believe that it's really not going to be all that bad... That you might just beat it this time. Then it hits you hard right in the chest and leaves you huddled on the couch in a fetal position coughing like a seal and blowing your nose so much that you could play an extra in a rudolph the red nosed reindeer movie. I was so grateful that I had extras of pretty much everything in the freezer and didn't really need to stand over the stove for any length of time over the weekend. I'm still not back 100% and the cough is really hanging on but thankfully the worst of it is over!

Before I got sick I was able to try out some new pumpkin recipes! I have a very hard time finding pumpkin here and after years of being stubborn about it I finally turned to sweet potatoes. I knew that those were a great substitute to use in pumpkin recipes and decided to make my own puree :) It was pretty simple to do..bake sweet potatoes for almost an hour,peel,scoop out the flesh and pop into a food processor and then process until smooth..easy peasy. I went on foodgawker and pinterest and pinned like a mad woman. I decided to try two recipes right away and this was one of them.

I wish I could tell you guys that I'm in pumpkin heaven..but I'm not. I'm finding these recipes to be much like the ones using zucchini..you don't actually taste the ingredient! So far I haven't tasted one authentic pumpkin anything..nothing. I'm getting alot of the spice taste but then I'm not really after a spice muffin..I'm after a pumpkin muffin. I also know that there is no pumpkin flavor due to the fact that my husband has eaten both items..He hates the taste of pumpkin and both times I didn't tell him what was in it until after he swallowed the first bite. Needless to say he was over the moon that there was zero pumpkin flavor but I on the other hand am ready to throw the towel in and move on to apple recipes..atleast those taste like apple!

So here you go..a seriously moist spice filled muffin with a hint of chocolate. It goes great with a bowl of low fat yogurt or a cup of coffee. If you aren't a fan of pumpkin but love a moist muffin then you will have no worrie with this recipe. You get all of the benefits of using the pumpkin but none of the taste. Please don't get me wrong. I DO really like these muffins. I was just hoping for more of a pumpkin flavor.

Whole Wheat Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Muffins

1 cup All-purpose Flour
1 cup Whole Wheat Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
2 tsp. Pumpkin Pie Spice
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
3/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
2 Eggs
1/4 cup Canola Oil
1/4 cup Applesauce..can use another 1/4 cup Oil if you prefer 
3/4 cup Pumpkin or Sweet Potato Puree
1/3 cup Buttermilk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup Mini Chocolate Chips..I used 1/2 cup regular chips

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl,whisk together the flours,baking powder,pumpkin pie spice,salt and baking powder.

In another bowl,whisk together the brown sugar,eggs,oil and applesauce. Then add in the puree,buttermilk and vanilla;whisk until combined.

Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined. Fold in the chocolate chips. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups.

Bake 17-21 mins,or until tops are golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool muffins in pan on a wire rack for 5 mins before removing and allowing to cool completely on a wire rack.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: Great Easy Healthy Recipes