Monday, September 17, 2012

"Lighter" Lemon Yogurt Poppy Seed Muffins

 

        I hope everyone had a good weekend! We took it pretty easy around here due to everyone but me coming down with the back to school colds..blah Thankfully there are no fevers and just the annoying stuffy head to deal with.

So I baked muffins and bread and did laundry and planned the weekly menu and baking list...I realise it wasn't the most exciting weekend but it works for me!

Here is a lighter poppy seed muffin recipe. These were good but next time I will take them out of the oven sooner and instead of only spraying the bottom of the muffin pan with nonstick spray,I will spray everything. You need to take these out right away or they will stick really fast. I'm not sure if using paper liners would be a good way to go since I am pretty sure they will stick to those aswell. If you go that route you might want to lightly spray the liners with nonstick spray.

Lighter Lemon Yogurt Poppy Seed Muffins

1/3 cup Fat free Milk
1/4 cup Unsweetened Applesauce
2 TBS Canola or Vegetable Oil
1-6 oz Container low fat Lemon or Vanilla Yogurt
1 Egg
1 tsp. Lemon Extract;optional..see note below
1-3/4 cups All-purpose Flour
1/4 cup Sugar
2 TBS Poppy Seeds
1 TBS Grated Lemon Zest 
2-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking  Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
** Glaze**
1/2 cup Powdered Sugar
2-3 tsp. Lemon Juice

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick spray.

In a large bowl,beat milk,applesauce,oil,yogurt,egg and lemon attract if using until well blended. Stir in remaining ingredients and mix just until combined. Divide batter evenly among muffins cups.

Bake 15-18 mins or until golden brown and toothpick inserted comes out clean ( start checking at 15 mins. I will pull mine out at that time instead of waiting for 18 mins.) Immediately remove muffins from pan and place on wire rack with tin foil underneath to catch any of the glaze that drips down.

In a small bowl,mix together the powdered sugar and enough lemon juice to achieve desired drizzling consistency. Drizzle over warm muffins.

** I always add lemon extract to any recipe that calls just for lemon zest. I never get enough of a lemon flavor when just using the zest. If you want more of a lemon flavoring then add between 1/2-1 tsp of lemon extract**

Yield: 12 Muffins..150 calories per muffin
Source: Betty Crocker