Monday, August 13, 2012

Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

 
          Alot of people have been e-mailing me and asking if I grew a container garden this year..I didn't. We picked a vacation instead. We don't have friends and family around us that can come over and water for us while we were away so we decided to take this summer off aswell as next summer since we are FINALLY going to start house hunting!

Zucchini is pretty cheap over here at the moment so I don't feel to badly that I didn't grow any myself this time around. I picked up a bunch lastweek and decided to make some healthy muffins with one of the larger ones I bought. The only change I made was to lower the sugar to 1/4 cup. I was slightly worried that they wouldn't be sweet enough but I'm happy to say the swap worked out well. These muffins are moist with alot of flavor going on with the banana,applesauce and cocoa. Happy Muffin Monday!

Whole Wheat Chocolate Zucchini Muffins

1-1/4 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/4 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1-1/4 tsp. Baking Powder
3/4 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1 Whole Banana,mashed
1/2 cup Sugar
1/4 cup Milk or Buttermilk
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 cup Shredded Zucchini

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and cinnamon.

In another bowl,mix together the banana,sugar and applesauce. Add in milk,vanilla and zucchini; stir until combined.

Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined. Spoon batter evenly among the muffin tin. Bake 18-25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes before removing from pan and cooling completely on a wire rack.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: Happy Herbivore