Monday, August 27, 2012

Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Muffins

 


          Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a good weekend. I spent mine in the kitchen. I am going into baking overload. I baked 5 loaves of bread and this morning I whipped up these muffins and then made a snack cake. My teenie weenie freezer is bursting at the seams at this point. I really need to invest in a small freezer so that I can keep on truckin. This marks the last week my kids have off and then it's back to school for them and dogsitting for a whole month for me..yippee! I adore dogsitting for our friends and Bailey and Pixel are the best dogs ever. I'm going to try my hand at baking healthy dog biscuits so maybe there will be a post on that in the near future!

These muffins are fantastic. They are filled with applesauce,shredded carrots,raisins,walnuts and whole wheat flour. They are moist and the cinnamon and nutmeg bring it all together. If you don't like walnuts, don't add them. If you don't like the taste of carrots, don't worry because you don't taste them..at all. So go make some and feel better about eating two since they are made with whole wheat flour and applesauce..and no butter or eggs.

Whole Wheat Carrot Cake Muffins

1-1/2 cups Whole Wheat Pastry Flour
1/2 cup Brown Sugar
1/4 cup Chopped Walnuts
1/4 cup Raisins
2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Nutmeg
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 cups Unsweetened Applesauce
1 cup Shredded Carrot

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Grease a 12 cup muffin pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a large bowl,thoroughly mix all of the dry ingredients together and set aside.

In a smaller bowl,mix together the applesauce and carrots. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined ( the batter will be wet from the applesauce but you do not need to worry about that. They will bake up beautifully.)

Divide batter evenly among the prepared pan. Bake 20-25 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool in pan on wire rack for 4-5 mins before removing and allowing to cool completely on wire rack.

Yield: 12 Muffins..113 calories each
Source: fANNEtastic food