Wednesday, August 15, 2012

Mango Sorbet

  

        I've turned into a bit of a weenie. Living in Oregon you have those hot,hot summers..like 100 plus summers. When it became to much to bare you'd jump in the car and head for the coast because over there it was always 15-20 degrees cooler. Now that I live in The Netherlands,I've lost my edge. It's 83 degrees right now but I swear people talk like it's about 100! I refuse to complain about it because I've been cold since last summer and this weather is giving me a chance to catch a tan and some warmth!

However..it is warm,and when it's warm we all want a nice cool treat. So..I give you mango sorbet. This was one of the challenges this month on my facebook cooking group..to make something with mango. I must confess that I am not a huge mango fan. I don't mind the flavor in a smoothie and I do love dried mangos..but thats about it. I wasn't over the moon crazy about this sorbet only because it tasted to much like a mango! My husband and two sons loved how refreshing the taste was so I'm guessing if you are a fan like they are, you will love this sorbet!

Mango Sorbet

2 Large,ripe Mangos ( 2 pounds)
2/3 cup (139 g) Sugar
2/3 cup (160 ml) Water
4 tsp. Freshly squeezed Lime juice,plus more to taste
1 TBS Dark Rum,plus more to taste..I left this out
Pinch of Salt

Peel the mangoes and cut the flesh away from the pit. Cut the  flesh into chunks and put them in a blender with the sugar,water,lime juice,rum and salt. Squeeze the mago pits hard over the blender to extract as much of the pulp and juice as possible. Puree the mixture until smooth. Taste,then add more lime juice as desired. Chill the mixture thoroughly, then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

Yield: About 1 Quart
Source: The Perfect Scoop