Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Lemony Roasted Potato Salad

    

         I have a love/hate relationship with potato salad. I love it but I hate the amount of mayo that goes into it. I've tried over the years to make it here but the mayo they sell in the store is super watery. They do have Hellmann's and was about to finally kick in the extra money to buy a jar when I spotted this recipe. It didn't have anything in it that I would assosiate potato salad with..except for the potatoes. Infact you serve it warm and thats not something I would ever consider doing when making a potato salad!

What I did like was that it offered a lower fat option. The more and more I tweak our meals the more I am drawn to the lighter aspects of eating. I can no longer stand the heavy meals I ate back home almost everyday of the week. I'm not saying those don't taste good..but lets face it. They aren't good for you. I think alot of people have forgotten what it's like to eat real food that isn't loaded down with a ton of fat and calories. I'm not gonna lie though..you stick a plate of roasted meat with mashed potatoes and gravy and I am going to dive in. Thankfully the meat prices here are so crazy that I couldn't aford a decent roast even if I wanted one.

What I'm saying is..step outside that comfort zone and try something new. Lighter eating doesn't equal less enjoyment..infact it's the other way around when done right. Take this super simple roasted potato salad..you can tweak it anyway you like. If you don't want lemon in there,leave it out. I've made this several times and left the lemon out,added in a small amount of bbq sauce and a bunch of different seasonings. I've added in at various times,cumin,lemon pepper,garlic pepper,seasoned salt,smoked paprika,steak seasonings...the possibilities are endless.

Lemony Roasted Potato Salad

2 lbs Fingerling Potatoes,roughly diced
2 Celery Stalks,finely diced
4 TBS Olive Oil,divided
3 TBS Plain Greek Yogurt
2 TBS Fresh Lemon Juice
1 TBS Fresh Minced Mint..I left this out
Salt,Pepper and any other additional seasonings

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Toss the diced potatoes with 2 tablespoons of the oil and salt and pepper on a rimmed baking sheet. Roast 30-35 minutes,flipping half way through until potatoes are tender.

 Remove from oven and allow to cool 15 minutes in a large bowl. Then add the diced celery. 

Whisk together the remaining olive oil,yogurt,salt,pepper and any other additional seasonings. If you are adding the lemon juice I suggest you add in a small amount and taste as you go to make sure you don't overdue it on the lemon flavor. Add in more yogurt if you want it thicker or add in bbq sauce in place of the lemon juice. Pour over the roasted potatoes and toss to coat.

Garnish with mint if using and serve!

Yield: 4-6 ( As a side dish)
Source: Bev Cooks