Friday, August 10, 2012

Homemade Marshmallows!

  
             Happy National S'mores Day! I wonder who's in charge of creating these wacky little national days. In honor of said day,I am bringing you a homemade marshmallow recipe!

I couldn't believe it when these exploded all over the blogging world a few years back. Everyone was making them..except me. I didn't have a kitchenaid stand mixer or any stand mixer for that matter so all I could do was sit there and be ever so envious. That all changed of course when I woke up this past christmas to a rather large box that was infact a kitchenaid mixer. I still get happy when I think back that moment..My husband waiting for me to open it,the shock on my face as I looked at him,the smile on his face because he knew I had no idea, and then the full on bawling fit I went into after that because of how happy I was..sigh..that memory will stay with me forever..Oops..sorry! Anyway..now that I have a standmixer I was just waiting for the right moment to make them..Who knew that it would be that moment in august! We don't have the over the top temps over this way so my husband and I knew it was go time..

I did mention my husband in this because that man has turned into the candy making machine. He is whipping out nougat left and right and when he has the recipe perfected I will post it. He bought me a digital thermometer which I feel is a full on must when candy making because it takes the guess work out of everything. I hate the clip on thermometers and had the worst time with them. Well not anymore. I can't begin to tell you how super easy this recipe is! not only is it easy but the variations you can do are really limitless. I plan to make these again for christmas in the flavor of peppermint and in snowflake shapes and maybe partly dipped in chocolate. You can do swirls all sorts of flavors and colors and shapes..whatever you want really.

So here is the recipe..make some marshmallows and then make a s'mores..and just so you know,homemade marshmallow kick the poo out of the store bought version. They taste amazing and are soooo light and fluffy :)

      
    However if you don't feel like making those..how about a s'mores bar?

          
        I love anything that can be turned into bar form. Happy National S'mores Day!!!

Homemade Marshmallows

3 packages Unflavored Gelatin
1 cup Ice Cold Water,divided
12 ounces ( about 1-1/2 cups) Sugar
1 cup Light Corn Syrup
1/4 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Vanilla
1/4 cup Powdered Sugar
1/4 cup Cornstarch
Nonstick Spray

Place the gelatin into the bowl of a stand mixer with 1/2 cup of the water. Have the whisk attachment on.

In a small saucepan combine the remaining 1/2 cup water,sugar,corn syrup, and salt. Place over medium-high heat,cover and allow to cook for 3-4 minutes. Uncover and either clip a candy thermometer on the side or using a digital hand held thermometer, cook until the mixture reaches 240 degrees, about 7-8 minutes. Once it reaches 240, take it off the heat immediately.

Tur the mixer on low speed, and while running, slowly pour the sugar syrup down the side of the bowl into the gelatin mixture. Once you have added all of the syrup, increase the speed to high. Continue to whip until the mixture becomes thick and lukewarm,about 12-15 minutes. Add the vanilla during the last minute of whipping. While the mixture is whipping,prepare your pan!

Combine the powdered sugar and cornstarch in a small bowl. Lightly spray a 13x9 inch pan with nonstick spray. Sprinkle the powdered sugar mixture into the pan and moving it around to make sure that it coats the bottom aswell as the sides. Return the remaining mixture back into the bowl to be used later on.

When ready,pour the marshmallow mixture into the pan,using a lightly oiled spatula for spreading evenly into the pan. Dust the top with enough remaining powdered sugar mixture to lightly cover. Reserve rest for later. Allow the marshmallows to sit uncovered for atleast 4 hours and up to overnight ( mine sat out for the entire night.)

Turn the marshmallows out onto a cutting board and cut into 1 inch pieces using a pizza wheel dusted with the powdered sugar mixture. Once cut,lightly dust all sides of each marshmallow with the powdered sugar mixture,using more if needed. Store in airtight container for up to 3 weeks!

If you don't want to use cornstarch you can use all powdered sugar.

Yield: 9 dozen marshmallows
Source: Alton Brown