Monday, August 6, 2012

Carrot Spice Muffins

  
          It's monday! I don't really have anything exciting to tell other than it's monday and I've got a muffin recipe to share. I zoomed around Germany today to pick up a few baking items. I'm always amazed at the price difference when travelling 10mins from here and entering another country. I'm loving the cheaper prices on alot of the baking items!! I'm stared at constantly when they hear me speaking english and one poor little girl almost lost her ice cream when she did a double take after hearing me talk. I always smile but the total blank "It's one of THEM" looks you get is both comical and annoying at the same time. I'm not sure how many people in the U.S. realise that about 99.999% of German tv and movies are dubbed. They have no clue what most of the actors really sound like and the pure shock on their faces when they actually here english is just crazy. So yeah, thats my shopping in germany story for the day.

Lets move on to the muffins! I spotted this recipe a few days ago when another expat on facebook posted these. I am crazy about spice muffins and since I had a bunch of carrots to use up,into the kitchen I went! Incase you aren't a hardcore carrot fan you can still make these because you don't taste them. They add moisture..just like shredded zucchini. The pineapple and applesauce also help in that area and the nuts help bring it altogether. If you aren't a fan of walnuts then use cashews. If you aren't a fan of any kind of nut, then just leave em' out! You can freeze these without any problems but if your house is anything like mine..they are gone before you can even consider the freezer option!

Carrot Spice Muffins

1-1/2 cups White or regular Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/4 tsp. Nutmeg
1/8 tsp. Ground Ginger
1/8 tsp. Allspice or Pumpin Pie Spice
1/3 cup Agave,Honey or Brown Sugar
1 Egg,room temp
1/2 cup Plain Yogurt..I used low fat
1/3 cup Applesauce
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1-1/2 cups Finely Grated Carrots
1/2 cup Crushed Pineapple
1/2 cup chopped Cashews or Walnuts

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a large bowl,whisk together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt, and spices.

In another bowl, mix the eggs with choice of sugar,yogurt,applesauce and vanilla until thoroughly combined. Stir in the shredded carrots,pineapple and nuts.

Add the wet ingredients into the dry,stirring gently until combined. Divide batter evenly among prepared muffin tin.

Bake 15-17 minutes, or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 1-2 minutes before removing to wire rack to cool completely.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: When Adobo Met Feijoada