Friday, August 17, 2012

Anzac Biscuits

    
        

         I love trying all types of cookies. Although I am not a huge fan of the thin and crispy type of cookie I am always on the look out for one that I can really fall in love with. I much prefer the thick and chewy type of cookie..the bigger the bettter :)

The anzac biscuit comes from Australia and I've had my eye on them for a really long time. The ingredients of old fashioned oats,coconut and golden syrup promised a very chewy cookie..and I was right! These cookies are fantastic..crisp and chewy at the same time. The one and only downside,and it's not REALLY a downside, was that I was itching to put ground cinnamon into these cookies. They were begging for it..but then I guess you change the whole idea of the cookie and then it's not a typical anzac biscuit. However,I think I'm going to add it anyway and you can blame the baker in me that has a need to change a few things to make it even better.

Anzac Biscuits

1 cup ( 5-1/2 oz) All-purpose Flour
3/4 cup ( 5-3/4 oz) Superfine Sugar
1 cup ( 3-1/2 oz) Old Fashioned/Rolled Oats
1 cup ( 3-1/4 oz) Shredded Coconut..I used fine
8 TBS ( 4-1/2 oz) Unsalted Butter
1/4 cup ( 3-1/4 oz) Golden Syrup..can use Honey
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1 TBS Boiling Water

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line a cookie sheet with parchment paper and set aside.

Sift the flour into a large mixing bowl. Stir in the sugar,oats and coconut,then make a well in the center.

Combine the butter and golden syrup in a small saucepan. Stir over low heat until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth. Remove from heat. Dissolve the baking soda and the boiling water together in a small bowl and immediately add to the butter mixture,which will foam up instantly. Add to dry ingredients and use a wooden spoon to stir until combined.

Roll tablespoons full of dough into a round ball and place onto prepared cookie sheet,about 2 inches apart. Flatten slightly with the base of a glass.

Bake for 20 minutes or until golden. Leave on tray for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool.

** My cookies really spread out so I ended up only baking 6 at a time**

Yield: 2-3 dozen
Source: Mastering the Art of Baking