Monday, July 9, 2012

Whole Wheat, Oatmeal, and Raisin Muffins

  
       Happy Monday! I hope everyone had a good weekend. My oldest son has finished school for the year and my youngest will be done in 10 days. It seems so odd to me that they only get 6 weeks off here instead of the 3 month summer vacations I grew up with. They get robbed of a decent summer here and I wish it wasn't like that. I have wonderful memories of my summer vacations..never did they consist of sitting inside because of all the rain. We had sun and warmth this last week and it was welcomed by all.

I got up this morning and was craving some kind of a whole wheat muffin. I really like the wholesome taste that whole wheat brings. It instantly makes me feel more healthy when I bite into one. I tweaked this recipe based on what I hand on hand and what I felt like trying out. I only used 1/4 cup of brown sugar and that was enough for us. I have been tweaking our sugar intake and we no longer miss the large amounts of sugar in our baked goods. These muffins were light and fluffy and very moist. If you aren't a fan of raisins then use all cranberries or half and half. To see the full version of this recipe click on the name located at the bottom where I list the source.

Whole Wheat,Oatmeal, and Raisin Muffins

1 cup Whole Wheat Flour ( 4-3/4 ounces)
1/4 cup Packed Brown Sugar
4 TBS Toasted Wheat Germ
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
1/2 tsp. Salt
1-1/2 cups Quick Cooking Oats
2/3 cup Raisins
2/3 cup Shredded Carrots
1 cup Low-fat Buttermilk
1/4 cup Canola Oil or Applesauce would also work
1 tsp. Vanilla
1 Large Egg,lightly beaten
1/2 cup Boiling Water

Preheat oven to 375 or 190 celcius. Spray a 12 cup muffin tin with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a medium bowl,whisk together the buttermilk,canola oil,vanilla and egg;set aside.

In a large bowl,combine the flour,brown sugar,wheat germ,baking soda,bakig powder,cinnamon and salt. Stir in the oats,raisins, and carrots. Make a well in the center of the mixture and pour in the wet ingredients; mix just until moistened. Stir in the boiling water and mix until combined. Let batter stand for 15 minutes.

Divide batter evenly among the cups. Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow to cool in pan for 2 minutes before removing to completely cool on wire rack.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: My Recipes