Monday, July 16, 2012

Lemon-Zucchini Muffins with Lemon Glaze


        It's currently 50 freaking 6 degrees here in The Netherlands. It's July but we wouldn't know it by those types of temps or by the fact that it's pouring down rain outside. I had a gigantic semi meltdown this weekend and screamed that I wanted out. I'd had enough and wanted out. I didn't care where that out took me but as long as it was anywhere but here then that would be ok. For now that out took me into the kitchen as I whipped up baked items left and right. My freezer is jam packed and I see no end in sight with me baking to keep myself in the here and now and not off in some corner rocking back and forth while sucking my thumb and repeating, "There's No Place Like Home"over and over again.

One of those baked items consisted of muffins..no shocker there right? I had a bunch of zucchini that needed to be used but wanted to stay clear of the heavy sugared zucchini breads. I spotted this lemon-zucchini loaf on pinterest and decided to make it. I turned it into muffins but you can make a loaf out of it. The first thing that struck my husband and I was how earthy and grassy it tasted. The lemon juice in the recipe didn't give the punch that I was expecting and what I should of done and will do from now on is to add lemon extract to this recipe. The taste of the zucchini was a bit much for us and my son kept saying that it tasted like tea. Now this in no way should put you off from making this because these were some seriously moist and airy muffins that rocked on all other levels..Had I gotten the lemon flavor right then these would of been a total 10 in my book. I plan to make these again with the lemon extract and Im convinced that these will then become one of our most favorite mufifns to date. I should also say that the lack of lemon flavor could also just be our issue and not someone else's. Alot of people commented on the original recipe post that they loved how lemony it was. I guess we needed that one extra punch of it to make it work for us. The glaze is something you should not leave out as it also adds another level of lemon flavor that is needed in my opinion.

Lemon-Zucchini Muffins

2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
2 Eggs
1/2 cup Canola Oil
2/3 cup Sugar
1/2 cup Buttermilk
Juice of one lemon ( or 2 TBS of botteled Lemon juice)
Zest of one lemon
1/2-1 tsp. Lemon Extract;optional
1 cup ungrated Zucchini

Lemon Glaze:
1 cup Powdered Sugar
2 TBS Lemon Juice

Preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Spray a muffin tin with nonstick spray and set aside. In a large bowl,whisk together the flour,baking powder, and salt.

In a medium bowl,whisk the eggs until combined,then add in the canola oil and sugar;whisk until thoroughly combined. Add in the buttermilk,lemon juice,lemon zest and lemon extract if using;mix until combined. Gently fold in the zucchini.

Add the wet ingredients into the dry and mix until everything is combined while making sure to not overmix the batter. Divide batter evenly amoung greased muffin cups. Bake 25 minutes or until toothpick inserted comes out clean.

Allow muffins to cool in pan for a few minutes before removing to wire racks. While still warm dip the tops of the muffins into the lemon glaze,allowing the excess to drip off before placing back on the wire tack to cool completely ( To make clean up easier,place tinfoil under the wire rack to catch any glaze that might drip down.) 


Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: NancyCreative