Thursday, July 19, 2012

Curried Chickpea Couscous

   
        So yesterday the dark grey skies opened up and the sun came out! I wasn't taking any chances so I went out and did some weeding,mowed our small front yard,opened up the windows to air the house out and cleaned the place from top to bottom. By the end of the day the rain and colder temps came back..but there was no denying that bright warm beautiful sun. The weatherman keeps promising that sunday will be the start of our summer. We will see sun, we will hit somewhere between 65-75 degrees and there will be no rain..for one whole week! I will take it because we have some serious plans for next week and sun is a must!

Speaking of things that are a must..I can't live without my speedy light dinners that we are enjoying more and more. My two sons are crazy about couscous and chickpeas..seriously, how lucky am I to have kids that love all types of vegetables,grains, and even going meatless several times a week? I'm blessed I tell you.

So here is a quick light meal that won't heat your kitchen up and can be changed up any way that you like..Add in some chopped grilled chicken,raisins,spinach,whatever you want! I added in frozen peas and next time I will toss in some chicken.

Curried Chickpea Couscous

1 cup Couscous
1 cup Chickpeas,cooked (If using canned chickpeas,remember to drain and rinse before using)
1-3/4 cup Water,Chicken or Vegetable Stock
1/2 tsp. Curry Powder..I used 1 teaspoon
1 tsp. Olive Oil
1/4 tsp. Salt..I added more
1/4 tsp. Red Pepper Flakes;optional
** Feel free to add in your favorite spices to this dish!**

Place couscous,chickpeas and curry in a large bowl. Bring water or stock to a boil and pour over the couscous mixture;give it a quick stir and then cover the bowl with plastic wrap and allow it to sit for 5 minutes or so..until the liquid is absorbed.

Add the olive oil,salt and red pepper flakes and gnetly stir with a fork. Serve in bowls with crusty bread on the side  :)

** If adding frozen peas,toss those in with the couscous and curry. **

Yield: 4-6 big main servings
Source: The Boot