Monday, July 2, 2012

Baklava Muffins

         
         I've joined a cooking group on facebook thats made up of expats living in The Netherlands. It's filled with wonderful women who enjoy cooking and baking as much I do. We've hosted cookie swaps through mail ( It only takes one day to reach someone when mailing within Holland), we help eachother out when needing info on where something is called in Dutch or when an item could be found, and most recently we have started a monthly cooking challenge with two themes or items. The first one was zucchini and the second one was baklava. It's then left up to us to come up with our own version of the challenge.

I was going to pass on the baklava challenge since we had a calorie packed month with a birthday and father's day but decided to think outside the box and come up with something that worked for us. So my answer to that was of course..muffins! In truth..these are way more like coffee cakes than baklava but whatev..my family was over the moon when they saw these babies waiting for them when they woke up :) I'll be sharing my recipe for the zucchini challenge this week aswell!

My one complaint about this recipe is that the muffins stuck something fierce to the liners. I should of stuck with my theory of never using liners for muffins and saving them for cupcakes only because thats never failed me. I would make sure to either spray the liners or not use them at all and use nonstick spray on the tins. The original recipe leaves out the salt..please don't do that unless you want a lackluster muffin.

Baklava Muffins

Filling:
1/2 cup Chopped Walnuts or Pistachios
1/3 cup Sugar
1-1/2 tsp. Ground Cinnamon
3 TBS Butter,melted

Muffins:
1-1/2 cups All-purpose Flour
2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Baking Soda
1/2 tsp. Salt
1/4 cup Sugar
1 Large Egg
3 TBS Butter,melted
1 cup Buttermilk

Topping:
Honey

Preheat oven to 400 or 200 celcius. Line a muffin tin with liners and spray the liners with nonstick spray;set aside.

In a small bowl,mix topping ingredients together;set aside.

In a large bowl,whisk together the flour,baking powder,baking soda,salt and sugar. In another bowl,whisk together the egg,melted butter and buttermilk. Add wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until combined.

Fill muffin cups one third,sprinkle filling over batter evenly and then top with remaining batter ( you can also leave some of the filling to be sprinkled on top but it's not necessary.)

Bake 15 mins or until toothpick inserted comes out clean. Cool for a few minutes before removing muffins to wire rack. While still warm,drizzle honey over the top of each muffin. Serve warm.

Yield: 12 Muffins
Source: Baker Street

 





2 comments:

Formerly known as Frau said...

Yum looks delicious....my greek friend makes me Baklava every Christmas....love it!

Sonya said...

My fantastic Turksih neighbor always brings me some..she makes it with pistachios and it's the best I've eater eaten. i look forward to it every year!