Tuesday, July 31, 2012

Baked Strawberry Glazed Donuts

 
        I'm back from a lovely week of vacationing. I can't tell you how much I needed a break from everything. Leading up to our vacation we had nonstop rain. I was dreaming of soups and stews instead of grilled meats and summer salads. The day we packed up and took off the beautiful blue sky returned. We stayed in The Netherlands and spent a wonderful week on a lake. We had 90 degree temps and loved every single second of it. We all went kayaking,boating,fishing and grilled out almost everynight. The day we came back the rain returned! We are back to the summer one day and fall the next. I had a wonderful cooking free week. I came back with tons of ideas swirling around my head and can't wait to get started on them!

Baked donuts are something I can now appreciate. It wasn't always like that because lets face it..maple bars,apple fritters,old fashioned doughnuts and every other deep fried doughtnut flavor you can think of is pure heaven in ring form. I still have dreams about maple bars. I know I could in theory make them myself, but I don't own a deep fryer and don't ever want to. I don't even want to attempt making them in a large pot with oil. I like my insides to much now to even go there. Baked donuts give me the illusion of eating something super sinful but without all the oil involved. These donuts are really delicious and fresh tasting. I went ahead and left my strawberries crushed instead of pureed and used less powdered sugar. We thought it was perfect. Like all baked donuts, these are best eaten the day they are made. So go ahead..indulge a little without feeling guilty.

Baked Strawberry Glazed Donuts

1 cup All-purpose Flour
6 TBS Sugar..I used 3
1 tsp. Baking Powder
4 TBS Plain or Srawberry Yogurt..I used low fat
2 TBS Milk..I used Fat free 
1 Egg
1/2 tsp. Vanilla
1 TBS Butter,melted..I used Canola Oil

Pre heat oven to 325 or 165 celcius. Spray a 6 cup donut pan with nonstick spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, whisk together the flour,sugar, and baking powder. 

In a small bowl,whisk together the yogurt,milk,egg,vanilla and melted butter. Slowly mix the wet ingredients into the dry and mix just until fully combined.

Pipe or spoon batter into prepared pan,filling 2/3 full. Bake 8-11 minutes or until donuts are golden brown. Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Dip into strawberry glaze 1-3 times.

Strawberry Glaze:
3-4 Large Strawberries,stems removed
1 TBS Strawberry Jam
1 TBS Milk
1-2 cups Powdered Sugar,sifted

Slice strawberries and puree with jam. Pour into a bowl and mix with milk. Slowly stir in powdered sugar,adidng more until you reached the desired consistency.

** I just mashed the strawberries with the jam and milk and then added maybe 1 cup of powdered sugar. The left over glaze goes great with some plain frozen yogurt!**

Yiled: 6-7 donuts
Source: Sally's Baking Addiction