Friday, June 15, 2012

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

      
        I enter my favorite store and rush straight to the strawberries. I stand there with a huge smile on my face and grab the container that has the most seriously ripe to the point of being over ripe strawberries that I can find. I glance over and see an older dutch woman staring at me in disbelief that I would even go for such a variety. That's the difference between her and I. I see possibilities whereas she sees a waste. I smile at her and walk away with my wonderful find. I'm excited because I know exactly what these will be used for..Strawberry Frozen Yogurt.

I thought I knew what love was when it came to frozen yogurt. I already decided that I would eat the Blueberry version for the rest of my life..but now..I'm not so sure! The first thing my husband and I said when we tasted it was "Wow"and then we both went on to say that this was the most intense strawberry flavor we have ever encountered. The freshness of this frozen yogurt is unreal and a perfect treat to have on a hot summer day (or if you are like me, then on a cold and rainy day!) The best advice I can give you is to use very ripe strawberries for ultimate flavor and don't skip on pressing the seeds out..unless you like seeds in your ice cream..but then that would be just plain weird :)

Strawberry Frozen Yogurt

1 pound (450 g) Fresh Strawberries,rinsed and hulled
2/3 cup (130 g) Sugar
1-2 tsp. Vodka or Kirsch;optional but worth it
1 cup (240 g) Greek Yogurt
1 tsp. Freshly Squeezed Lemon Juice

Slice strawberries into small pieces. Toss in a bowl with the sugar and vodka or kirsch,if using,stirring until sugar begins to dissolve. Cover and let stand at room temperature for 1 hour,stirring every so often.

Puree the strawberries and their liquid with the yogurt and lemon juice in a blender or food proccesor until smooth. If you want, press the mixture through a mesh strainer to remove any seeds.

Refrigerate for 1 hour, then freeze in your ice cream maker according to manufacturer's instructions.

Yiled: About 1 Quart (1 Liter)
Source: The Perfect Scoop