Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Sonoma Chicken Salad

  
        Have I got a lip smacking recipe for you today! If you love a good chicken salad then this is one you need to try today!

It took me ages and ages before I would try chicken salad. The idea of combining chicken with fruit just turned my stomach. I am not into the whole meats and fruit combination but there is something about chicken salad and everything that goes into it that just works..to perfection.

The poppyseed dressing in this recipe is the real star of the show. It's sweet and tangy and I will be making this again as a regular salad dressing. I used a low fat yogurt mayonnaise to cut down on some of the calories and it worked just fine. If you aren't a fan of cranberries swap them out for diced apple or grapes. I used walnuts in place of the pecans simply because thats what I had on hand.I served the sandwiches on homemade whole wheat hamburger buns.

Sonoma Chicken Salad

3-1/2 cups cooked,shredded Chicken
1 cup Diced Celery
2/3 cup Chopped Pecans
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
2 TBS Finely Shredded Parmesan Cheese

Dressing:
2/3 cup Mayonnaise
1/4 cup Apple Juice
3 TBS Honey
2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
1 tsp. Prepared Yellow Mustard
1 TBS Poppyseeds
1/2 tsp. Onion Powder
Salt and Frshly Ground Pepper to taste

In a large mixing bowl,toss together the chicken,celery,pecans,dried cranberries and parmesan cheese. In a seperate bowl,whisk together all of the salad dressing ingredients until thoroughly combined. Pour dressing mixture over chicken mixture and toss to evenly coat. Serve over sliced bread,rolls and even as a salad topping!

Yield: 6-8 servings..depending on how much filling you use
Source: Cooking Classy






1 comment:

Coleens Recipes said...

What a mouth watering sandwich!!!