Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Pineapple Sorbet

              
       If you don't own an ice cream maker..you need to get one. You don't need anything fancy. The one I have is some off brand that I purchased 5 years ago and hasn't given me any trouble at all. It's slightly loud but who cares..it makes ice cream! I think alot of people are also iffy when it comes to making their own. I am all for it since you know exactly whats going in there and none of the hidden stuff you may not want for you or your family. There are 100's of recipes out there for ice creams,sorbets,sherbets and granita's. In my recipe area I have a section on ice cream and you will find all sorts of wonderful treats to make for your family.

I have a weird thing with pineapple. I like the flavor but I don't like it hot and don't really enjoy chewing it. I LOVE hawaiian pizza..but only cold. Alot of people swear by grilled pineapple but it just doesn't do anything for me. I knew this sorbet would be a winner since you toss everything into a blender and whiz it up until it's smooth. You can go two ways with this sorbet: Using fresh pineapple or if like me,you don't have one of those on hand, use canned pineapple instead. It tasted amazing..so fresh and delicious!

Pineapple Sorbet

1/2 Pineapple,peeled and cored ( 2 cups,500ml puree)
8-10 TBS (100-130 g) Sugar
1/2 cup (125 ml) Water

Cut the pineapple into chunks and puree in a blender with 8 tablespoons (100 g) sugar and the water until smooth. Taste,then add up to 2 tablespoons additional sugar,if desired.

Chill mixture thoroughly,then freeze it in your ice cream maker according to the manufacturer's instructions.

** If using canned pineapple,choose a brand that's unsweetened and packed in its own juice,not heavy or light syrup. Puree the fruit and the juice in a blender until smooth,then measure out the amount of pineapple puree called for in the recipe. So to make that clear..puree it,measure it out,put it into the blender and then add the sugar and water and blend until mixed**

Yild: 3 cups (750 ml)
Source: The Perfect Scoop