Wednesday, June 20, 2012

Ice Cream Cone Cupcakes and A Trifle

  
        I got up at 5 am to bake these things. No joke..5 am. My youngest turned 12 a couple of weeks ago and he just loves bringing cupcakes into his class. He tells me I just have to  because I'm known as the "American Cupcakes Mom." I've been called worse so I'm kinda liking this title. I wanted to do something different though and knew for a fact that these kids had never seen an ice cream cone cupcake. So I started doing research online..About 90% of the recipes called for a basic boxed cake mix and I am not against boxed mixes, but I am old school and prefer to make my own. I have the time so why not?

       
     I had originally planned on baking chocolate cones but was quickly reminded of the one child in class who doesn't like chocolate..I didn't even know that was possible! I guess she gets sick from it so I understand. So that left a yellow or white cake. I am so inlove with white cakes but to be honest I have never found one to be as light and fluffy as the american boxed cake mixes. I took a leap of faith and tried a vanilla buttermilk cake. I can honestly say that hands down, this is the best vanilla cake I have ever tasted. It's light,moist and so totally moreish that you can not be left alone with it. The reason I got up so early to bake the cones is because alot bloggers said due to baking the cones in the oven they do not store well and can become stale. So that left me with getting up early to have everything baked,frosted and out the door by 8 am. These cones are smaller than the ones I am used to so I was left with alot of cake batter. I poured it into a 9 inch cake pan,baked it and then froze it. Father's Day was coming up and my husband requested..you guessed it....

               
     A trifle! seriously these things are the easiest desserts to make. You take left over cake or cupcakes,crumble it up and layer it with your choice of fruit and whipping cream or cool whip. Easy peasy.

The cone cupcakes were a giant hit by the way. I was right in guessing they had never seen those before and couldn't get over the fact that they really looked like ice cream cones. They said they couldn't wait to see what I was going to bake for the christmas dinner..Oh dear.

This recipe can be turned into a cake or cupcakes. If you want to turn this recipe into ice cream cone cupcakes I would go HERE for a recipe that uses a boxed cake mix and the standard american cones. If you can find square ones I would really go for those. I was able to fill them and place them on a large cookie sheet to bake without worrying about them falling over.

Vanilla Buttermilk Cupcakes

4 Eggs
2 tsp. Vanilla Extract
1-1/4 cups Buttermilk
3 cups Cake Flour..see note
2 cups Sugar
3-1/2 tsp. Baking Powder
1/2 tsp. Salt
1 cup Unsalted Butter, room temperature

Position the oven rack to the middle section and preheat oven to 350 or 180 celcius. Line several cupcake pans with liners and set aside. This recipe will yieldover 24 cupcakes..by how much, I don't know since I turned my left over batter into a 9 inch cake.

In a small bowl,whisk together the eggs,vanilla, and buttermilk. Set aside.

In the bowl of a stand mixer, mix together the cake flour,sugar, baking powder, and salt. Add the butter and beat until light and fluffy,about 3-4 minutes ( mine didn't reach that stage until I added in some of the liquid.) 

Add the egg mixture in 3 additions,beating well after each addition and scraping the sides of the bowl as needed. Divide batter evenly among the prepared pans making sure to only fill half way..these will rise alot so you don't want them to overflow.

Bake 25 minutes or until a tootpick inserted comes out clean.  Allow to cool in pan for 5 minutes before removing to cool completely on wire rack. Allow to cool before frosting with your favorite recipe. I used a basic vanilla buttercream for the frosting and piped it as best as I could to resemble ice cream.

** Note on cake flour. I never have that on hand so for every 1 cup of cake flour,measure out 1 cup of regular flour. Take out 2 tablespoons of the flour and replace it with 2 tablespoons of cornstarch. Sift the flour several times to make sure the cornstarch is blended in with the flour. **

Yield: 24 + Cupcakes
 Source: Krissy's Creations