Thursday, May 3, 2012

Mexican Sloppy Joes

  
         See that awesome looking hamburger bun? I made that. I'll have the recipe for those up tomorrow. I jumped around the house when I pulled them out of the oven..total perfection!

I actually baked those hamburger buns with this recipe in mind. I spotted it last week and bookmarked it to make. My oldest son loves everything spicy and so does my husband. My youngest son and I are in the middle and these were about as spicy as we could go. I doubt anyone else who makes these will have a problem with the spice because I'm pretty sure The Netherlands is the only place to produce burn your lips off chili powder. I knew from experience not to use the full amount but the little I did use was again way to much. Boo on lip numbing chili powder!

These are seriously good though..you get a kick of sweetness from the brown sugar and a kick from the chili sauce..Make sure you get sweet chili sauce and if you are like me,go for the mild.

Mexican Sloppy Joe's

1 lb Ground Beef..lean,regular,soy crumbles
1/2 cup Diced Red Onion..I used a regular one
1 TBS Minced Garlic
1/4 cup Diced Jalapeno Pepper..left out 
3/4 cup Sweet Chili Sauce
2 TBS Brown Sugar
2 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Ground Cumin
Optional toppings: Cilantro,Pepper Jack Cheese or cheese of choice. They sell a Cumin cheese here that I used and it went great with the sandwiches.

Brown ground beef in large pan over medium heat until no longer pink. Drain and reserve one tablespoon of drippings. Add onion and garlic to pan and sautee until fragrant,about 1-2 minutes.Add in jalapeno and cook until vegetable are tender,about 5 minutes. Return beef to mixture and salt and pepper to taste. Stir in sweet chili sauce,brown sugar and cumin. Simmer for 12-15 minutes,stirring often.

Serve on hambuger buns and toppings of choice.

Yield: 6 servings
Source: Behind the Bites


4 comments:

a happy little life said...

you know i was EXCITED to see your buns! hahaha that sounds so funny as i type that. (whata dork!)
but i really was excited!
they are beautiful and i know beautiful buns. (oh shiz!) but seriously....
we have the hottest lip burning chili powder too. i have actually written on the container
1tsp=1/4tsp. and i like spicy but it's nearly caused ruined food. i wonder honestly what kind of chilis they make the chili pepper out of here. sheeesh.
anyway i will give the soy crumble a shot and cannot wait for the bun recipe.
xo tracie

Sonya said...

You like my buns! haha..cant go back on saying that now! lol

Oooh I bet u guys have the same type of chili powder as we do..it SUCKS! I believe they are using straight dried chili peppers in these..it's so awful..lol Im doing a box swap with a woman from the U.S. and asked right away for chili powder..lol

a happy little life said...

yes, i'm thinking we are all getting european issue type spices.
chili powder, yes, sucks just not loving it.
our cumin is different also, i can't quite put my finger on how, but it is, not sure good or bad.

good for you for asking for usa chili powder!

Sonya said...

Yep alot of things are different..the sugars have bigger crystals..atleast in the netherlands it's like that. The brown sugar isnt smooth like it is back home. The powdered sugar is odd aswell..lol